Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

over the moon

简体
over the moon
欣喜若狂

Date: Sep 20 2012

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“My kids are over the moon and super excited about having a new brother or sister.”

- Tori Spelling, talking about welcoming a new baby to her family. (Us Weekly)

“当听到有了新弟弟或妹妹时,我的孩子们会欣喜若狂,非常激动。”

- 托瑞·斯培林 (Tori Spelling) 谈论欢迎家庭的新婴儿成员。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

very happy and excited

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

You can usually tell when somebody is happy. They might be smiling, laughing, or even jumping for joy. Now imagine how happy they would have to be in order to jump all the way over the moon!

When you say you are over the moon, it means you are very happy, excited, or overjoyed. Of course, being over the moon doesn’t mean that you are literally up in space. But you may feel like you are. Even though your feet are on the ground, you might feel like your head is floating way up in the clouds.

There are many reasons why someone might be over the moon. You might feel over the moon when a beautiful girl agrees to go on a date with you. Or you might feel over the moon about landing a great new job.

Most people feel over the moon when they learn they are going to have a baby. But the new baby’s brothers and sisters might not be so excited. They might feel jealous or confused. That’s not how Tori Spelling’s kids feel, though. When they heard they were going to have a new brother or sister, they felt over the moon, just like their mom.

When was the last time you felt over the moon about something?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I am over the moon about getting married.”

“Sheryl was over the moon when she got the lead role in the play.”

“We can’t wait to go to Italy. We’re over the moon about our trip!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

they are so happy and cant wait for it
by sheitooonak
Orchestra to be over the moon means to be immensely happy (like you jump over the moon with joy and happiness)
by Orchestra
cubi1604 Very happy
by cubi1604
dearpesar full of emotion and very excited,
by dearpesar
Orchestra utterly glad and happy
by Orchestra
rony2u Very happy & excited,like top of the world
by rony2u
dilek23 it means jumping for joy or being overcome with happiness.Also, I taught that to my pupils.
by dilek23
 julito Very happy,
by julito

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Mr. Learner

Peru

I felt over the moon the time I graduated of high school.

Smile

09:36 PM Sep 26 2012 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Wow!.. Being over the moon is a great feeling.. I don’t think there’s a human on earth that doesn’t have that happy moment, even at least one happy moment…

Of course I have so many happy memories, but at the present time, I don’t remember any of them. I’m just sure that I have.. 

03:22 PM Sep 24 2012 |

zhong yulu

zhong yulu

China

i can’t remember the last time that i was over the moon.

03:02 PM Sep 24 2012 |

sarah313

sarah313

Iraq

I feel over  the moon when I see  happiness  on deprived children  faces when you offer them  presents  or donate to treatment them  of cancer

09:35 PM Sep 23 2012 |

harith_964

harith_964

Iraq

last time i was over the moon before 2 years when i was in love with my girlfriend , it over now and i’am happy but not over the moon !

09:51 PM Sep 20 2012 |

Quike97

Quike97

Mexico

i am over the moon right now because i´m writing this note…...:D

07:25 PM Sep 20 2012 |

sarah asl

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

there have been alot of times that i felt over the moon,but these days im not that happyFrown

07:15 PM Sep 20 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

although I have had very good moments in my life ,I can not remember  when it was the last time that I felt over the moonEmbarassed

Sun_daisy

Sun_daisy

China

“Over the moon “it reminds me of those words Travel,Food,Exhibitions,Musenum,Music,book,The sea,bike.yes,these make me very very very excited and happy.life is very beatiful,i love it.

05:42 PM Sep 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

raisacorrea

Brazil

Last time I felt over the moon was when I got a new job.

05:34 PM Sep 20 2012 |

manik athawale

India

it means “now the Lord was gracious to Sarah as he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age at the very time God had promised him. Abraham gave the name isaac to the son Sarah bore him. when his son isaac was eight days old Abraham cricumcised him, as God commanded him. Abraham was hundred years old when his son isaac was born to him. Sarah said, “God has brought me! aughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me” and she added, “Who would have said to Abrahm that sarah would nurse children? yet i have borne him a son in his lod age.”

04:10 PM Sep 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Irene, no problem! All trips are available :) to get us over the moon :)

03:35 PM Sep 20 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Olya, WOW! :)

Take me with you, please!

03:26 PM Sep 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Going to Wonderland, water rides. Getting on the most challenging ride.

Being on Nickelback concert :)

Going on vacation

Swimming in Lake Huron

Talking to long-time-no-see friend

Getting the most unsurmountable things done

Winning the lottery and any other game

Having an evening with a family like yesterday, sipping a good wine Mouton Cadet and sharing the most memorable glimpses of the day got me over the moon  Laughing

03:17 PM Sep 20 2012 |

sepehr_star

I am over the moon almost every day because i’m exploring the nature! and i’m fighting for my goals! each little success and each little finding makes me so happy!

01:09 PM Sep 20 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

“Most people feel over the moon when they learn they are going to have a baby” – maybe that it is but as for me I was over the moon right after  the delivery of my children. This feeling was mixed with the feeling of great victory and  exitement. I would compare it with the victory after the long and harsh war against many -thousands troops!!! It was great, indescribably great feeling!!!!Innocent

01:00 PM Sep 20 2012 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Its for long time that I havent felt I’m over the moon!!!

Maybe when I was a kid or a teeanger!!!

Anyway these days every happiness is short and after a while your excitement will fade!

Mostly my happiness is not a real happiness!

12:49 PM Sep 20 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

I can’t say I’m  often over the moon. But when it happens, I am really feel great.

I haven’t seen absolutely happy people yet. Some of them pretend to be over the moon all the time. Some of them just tell lies to others to make them sure that they are not so lucky as “always-happy” people are.:)

Happiness is not a constant feeling of luck. We can appreciate happiness only after realizing the price of grief.

I wish all of you to feel over the moon as often as you deserve.

Love.♥

Irene

11:25 AM Sep 20 2012 |

prince of stars

Saudi Arabia

I was over the moon when I was traveling .  

11:17 AM Sep 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

extremly happy

09:46 AM Sep 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook