Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

root for

简体
root for
全力支持

Date: Apr 04 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Prince—and he wasn’t even up for anything! I root for him even if he takes the stage to announce something.”

- Singer Frank Ocean on who he hoped would win a Grammy. (Us Weekly)

“歌手王子 (Prince) -可他竟然没有获得任何提名!即便他只是上台说些什么,我也会全力支持他。”

— 歌手弗朗西斯·奥申 (Frank Ocean) 在推举格莱美获奖歌手时表示。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

support; cheer for

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Sometimes when you’re a fan of a sports team, you feel for your team so deeply. You want so badly for them to win and be successful. You feel your passion for the team from head to toe. If you were a plant, you would feel it all the way down into your roots. You root for your team because you support them so completely. You might cheer for your favorite team out loud, or talk about why your favorite is so great, or wear a T-shirt with the team’s name on it.

Of course, it’s not only sports teams you can root for. Maybe you have a favorite contestant on a singing TV competition show, and you root for your favorite singer to win. Or maybe when you’re watching the Oscars, you have a favorite movie that you’re really rooting for. You can root for anyone and anything that you’re a fan of and that you want to be successful.

Singer Frank Ocean is a huge fan of the singer Prince. Ocean is such a big fan that he rooted for Prince at the Grammy awards show, even though Prince wasn’t even competing for an award! That’s some real devotion.

What teams or performers do you root for? How do you express when you are a fan of someone or something?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“In basketball, I root for the Bulls.”

“Johnny and Joey are fighting after school! Who are you going to root for?”

“Who are you rooting for on American Idol this season?”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

DAMAVAND To support or encourage someone, to cheer a person
by DAMAVAND
To give support to(a contestan,team,etc), as by cheering.
by zhaleh hoor
shnu66 to wish someone success in a competition,etc.
by shnu66
aria8111 in a match cheering for a team that we would like it to be winner
by aria8111

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

thiagokami

thiagokami

Brazil

I like to root for São Paulo. It is a team of soccer here in Brazil and I enjoy every game they play. ^^

12:56 AM Apr 06 2013 |

Erise

Erise

Poland

Rooting for someone or something makes the blood running fast in our veins filling our minds with excitement turning our  routine life  into cheerful.

What I like in rooting for the most that we take sides of the others  with the  most sincere support uncovering our natural virtues.

07:44 PM Apr 05 2013 |

wafa2525

wafa2525

Saudi Arabia

I Am certainly rooting for our prophet Muhammad peace be upon him . He is rescue all people and exit them from darkness to light .Absolutely, he is best people on the ground until end this life add the hereafter .

06:58 AM Apr 05 2013 |

1 person likes this

Amr Wady

Amr Wady

Egypt

I always root for my family.  

11:55 PM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

wanghe

China

To wish to success for favorite somthing.

11:53 PM Apr 04 2013 |

Yllod olop

Yllod olop

Colombia

I am always rooting for my National team of Football. I like to see every match and i root for and suffer for them. And I admire their excelents skills and athletics bodies :) . Player as Falcao, James and specially Mario Alberto Yepes.

11:16 PM Apr 04 2013 |

aabed

Yemen

Naseem Hamid is  a person that i had rooted for. He is a Yemeni boxing athlete who was awarded twice as a winer of boxing championship over all the world. When i was a kid, keeping up all the night and preparing for watching him boxing were like a duty that i committed to do. I don’t know why, but i never regret of doing that on a part of my life. It could,  Yemen was a small country that no one ever known may a thing about it, so that was like a gorgeous opportunity to tell them about it.  

10:21 PM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

subo79

Canada

I am rooting for on “Super Singe”r this season

07:07 PM Apr 04 2013 |

Tiramisu99

Tiramisu99

China

I root for LiangJingru,a singer who comes from Malaysia,since I was a student,I used to listening her song during my free time.I have learnt a lot from her song, and when i am under the weather,her song help me get rid of it.As far as i am concerned, cellceting artwoks is the best way to express you are a fan of that perfomer.

05:47 PM Apr 04 2013 |

2 people like this

Marcel We

Marcel We

Germany

Real Madrid is very good, they have really good footballers. One of my favorite players from them is Mesut Ozil. He is developed by Werder Bermen, even then I was fascinated by his way to play football. I agree with you, blunyl, Real Madrid really is at least one of the best teams in the whole world. :-)) 

03:37 PM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

blunyl

blunyl

Sudan

I kinna deadly root for the best football team and the best world champ, that’s RM, Real Madrid.

03:18 PM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

Marcel We

Marcel We

Germany

I extremly root for my favourite football clubs: AC Milan and Werder Bremen :D

02:45 PM Apr 04 2013 |

2 people like this

Marcel We

Marcel We

Germany

When I was younger I used to watch a casting show that is called DSDS. It’s very famous in Germany. I remember I watched it every time it was on TV. I even voted for my favourite singers by calling for them (Well, I root for them). When I grew up I understood that it’s just show and that it’s quite stupid to spend my time on watching it rather than to concentrate on myself by some sports or some schoolwork. Today, I use my time more efficient and waste my time with such unnecessary things. 

02:43 PM Apr 04 2013 |

2 people like this

lion tear

lion tear

Yemen

I root for Arsenal :D

02:40 PM Apr 04 2013 |

FUN777

FUN777

Egypt

When i was a teenager i used to root for my favorite team so badly, but now i’m not, i no longer have that passion for football unless the important matches for my country.

01:25 PM Apr 04 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

I can say that I badly rooted for somebody when I was a child. I have a favorite singer team and tried to attend their performances when they had visited our city. When I became older my tastes were changed and I started to root for another singer team. Then I tried to attend their performances, bought their disks and imagined their soloist the very handsome and cool guy;) 

When I grow up I certainly continue to have the favorite performers, but I become more like their songs than themselves. Besides that I definitely root for all our sport team when it participates in some international competitions. But I can name that feeling more the patriotism than just the supporting favorite team. 

12:08 PM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

pirate006

pirate006

Turkey

i root for Galatasaray Team

12:07 PM Apr 04 2013 |

Arlinrat Aui

Thailand

I root for concert lovely show and I do scream loudly to show their appreciation O

09:58 AM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

Englishty

Englishty

Egypt

I get so excited when i root for somebody specifically on a singing competition show and i get nervous for him/her as i’m the contestant. I’m so loyal to the contestants i’m a big fan of.

09:50 AM Apr 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

ghamartaj

ghamartaj

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i root for my dear family

09:32 AM Apr 04 2013 |

Likes (19):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo