Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

go up against

简体
go up against
招惹

Date: May 02 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I thought it would make me look more intimidating…You see a freshman in high school and he has a mustache-I don’t want to go up against that guy.”
- Actor Steve Carrell on growing facial hair (Us Weekly)

“我曾认为它会让我看起来更吓人……试想你看到一个留着胡子的高中新生,你会怎样,我是绝不会想招惹他的。”
— 演员史蒂夫·卡瑞尔 (Steve Carrell) 谈论自己正在留长的胡子

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

fight or compete with

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Uh oh, you made someone angry. He wants to fight you. Suddenly the rumor starts going all around the school: There’s a fight today! English Learner is going up against the Bully!

You don’t have to go up against an actual person. It could be more abstract. You could go up against your friend’s vegetarianism when you try to convince her to eat the steak you just made. Or you could go up against your colleagues’ racism when they discriminate against you because of the color of your skin.

Steve Carrell is making a joke about his facial hair. He thinks it makes him look like someone that’s scary, or intimidating. However, he wouldn’t even want to go up against a teenager with a mustache, so he might not be that intimidating, after all.

When was the last time you went up against someone or something? What happened?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I’ve been training for months. I’m ready to go up against the best wrestler now!”

“I’m going to go up against your snobby taste in movies and insist that we watch a rom-com!”

“I’ve gone up against your stubbornness before. I’m over it.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Nijar fight
by Nijar
Manu4 To mess up or fight with someone
by Manu4
DAMAVAND To compete with someone-To face with somebody in competition,also means challenge or oppose.
by DAMAVAND
 julito To fight with him
by julito
Julissita To fight.
by Julissita

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Mystical_Pal

Turkey

I solely go up against my feelings and thoughts.

10:35 PM May 02 2013 |

terence25ftw

China

i dont usually go up against anybody or any thing unless im really pissed.

10:05 PM May 02 2013 |

struggling

struggling

Tunisia

I went up against myself!!

07:32 PM May 02 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

What Nijar has stated is true. I see a lot  of violence  in the streets.Mostly drivers , maybe for petty things are fighting each other ,calling names  in a gross manner , I wonder why are people losing self-control to the point of  getting into a fist fight .I agree with  Ola,  I prefer to ignore  and don´t put up  a fight in the streets ,some people will never change their behavior ,they  only understand the law of the strongest. 

06:52 PM May 02 2013 |

2 people like this

julito

julito

Argentina

There are  certain situations that when they come up might  requiere  a firm stand  from my  part , I go up  against  falsehood, hypocresy, dishonesty,bullying, to name a few. On the other hand, I respect other people´s choices  regarding food, religion, politics , otherwise i would be a fanatic  and this is not a trait of my character. I am very open minded. 

05:58 PM May 02 2013 |

2 people like this

Nijar

Nijar

Egypt

It’s completely different if you are inside a fight or out; If you are in you loose yourself control-what you say and do-on the other hand when you took an external look, you may laugh and say: how silly I was?!!

I’ve been taught to make a self control; do not reply directly, think, change my action-as we do in sport-keep calm my voice. It’s hard in some situations to do it, but I try!!

Now days people aren’t quiet as past , fight be normal on media, street.. up against your anger. “be away Nijar!!”

01:16 PM May 02 2013 |

angel_ eyes

Pakistan

It is useless to go up gainst stupid people.

11:36 AM May 02 2013 |

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Although fighting isn’t appropriate topic, we should not remain silent about injustice, it’s really necessary to go up against ruthless people who deal with innocents’ life. To be honest, one person alone can’t be strong enough to oppose despotism and get legal rights of oppresed ones, we all ought to do our best to stop cruelty. please be aware, being indifferent doesn’t help at all, injustice continues and oppression surronds whole the world.

11:33 AM May 02 2013 |

nfrtary

nfrtary

Egypt

i am stubborn girl so i invovled in alot of problems before because my stubborness but alwayes i am trying to solve it but u know alot of time the problem maker was me so i regret and say sorry to my friends…

09:29 AM May 02 2013 |

junaidasif

junaidasif

Pakistan

is a fight both  person  Action is look like Sports . 

09:12 AM May 02 2013 |

joodiaboot

joodiaboot

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i really agree with Ngubo sixt us

07:38 AM May 02 2013 |

Khenifra

Khenifra

Germany

“go up against” from my point overview is :to go up against my self to be desciplined in what I do in my whole life, to go up against my self to have a big dreams and to fight to achieve it, to go up against my self to be tolerant to the others even if they were rude to me … and so on :-) .

04:26 AM May 02 2013 |

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

wooo… to be angried with some is not a right thing,even to have a fight with him or her is not good at all. talk is a good source to solve problems. be strenght and against bulling. stop having gone up against someone.

03:13 AM May 02 2013 |

1 person likes this

Arlinrat Aui

Thailand

I made someone angry, I don’t know him/her go up against me is it?  But I know, I’m want to say so sorry^^;

02:34 AM May 02 2013 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I usually don’t put up a fight against somebody. Canadians are peacemakers. Somebody is to lose, always- so what’s it worth of going up against somebody. Smile and life is brighter. It’s better to put up a fight against  yourself though;) - spending energy on what is more important, keeping calm when somebody is rude to you!, fighting to achieve higher goals.

12:50 AM May 01 2013 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast