Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

horror stories

简体
horror stories
糟糕经历

Date: May 09 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I’ve heard all the horror stories, and it can’t possibly be as bad as they say it is!”
- Actor Josh Duhamel on becoming a father (Us Weekly)

“我听过不少糟糕的经历,但是实际绝没有他们说的那样糟。”

— 演员乔什·杜哈明 (Josh Duhamel) 在谈论成为父亲时说

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

stories about bad experiences

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Do you like scary stories? The kind where you sit around a fire with your friends at night, and you share stories about ghosts, or strange visitors in town who seem a little suspicious? Do you like that feeling of being scared as you wonder what’s going to happen next? What kind of horror will the storyteller reveal?

Not all kinds of horror stories actually involve ghosts and murderers, though. Sometimes a horror story is just a story about an extremely bad or negative situation. For example, you might hear horror stories about how crowded it is at a clothing store when they have a sale. Or you might hear horror stories about how badly your nephew behaved when he was out with his parents. These horror stories aren’t scary the way a zombie is, but they might still make you afraid.

Actor Josh Duhamel has heard some horror stories about a major life passage he’s about to make: becoming a father. He has probably heard about how he will be up all night, and have to change diapers, and how his life will completely change. Hopefully he’s not too scared, though, because he’ll be a dad soon!

What’s an experience that you’ve heard horror stories about? Do you think the experience is as bad as the horror stories say it is?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Matt has a lot of horror stories about working at Walmart.”

“I’ve heard all the horror stories about going to the market on Saturdays, but I don’t care if it’s crowded. I still want to go.”

“All the horror stories about Pamela aren’t true. She’s actually a nice person once you get to know her.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

a2020 Frightening stories.
by a2020
Olivine scary stories
by Olivine
DAMAVAND Frightening, Scary, Dreadful, Direful stories
by DAMAVAND
Plx stories that frighten and/or shock the reader
by Plx
Julissita The negative side about something.
by Julissita

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

Horror stories are my favorite subject,especially when your friends gathering around you at night ( I remembered at college’s accommodation back then) , and everyone share their own story. although it was thrill,but when  I’m a lone trying to go the bath room I find my self scared LOL, but you know that what I brought it to my self in the first place.

11:57 AM Aug 23 2013 |

parisa_sh

parisa_sh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I like these stuffes … specially horror games like silent hill , resident evil , fatal frame …. 

04:34 PM Aug 19 2013 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

When I was taking my first skydive, our instructor told us in details all exigents which might happen in the air and what we should do to avoid them. When he gave us some time to think, there was a moment when I thought of giving up this idea as I was really  scared.

08:15 PM Jun 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

fizaa

fizaa

Pakistan

this is really informative stuff, i would like to appriciate the way of your guide. Really admirable

11:42 AM May 14 2013 |

Afi_ro

Afi_ro

I love these stuffs , specially Walking Dead , its awesome

06:27 AM May 13 2013 |

mahdi007

mahdi007

very interestin & one of the best horror film is THE WALKING DEAD

04:13 PM May 12 2013 |

struggling

struggling

Tunisia

“We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones”

Stephen King

10:48 PM May 11 2013 |

2 people like this

koxa

koxa

Ukraine

Just enter hot news in a browser and you will discover the world of horror srories…everybody can get firm experience after viewing it 

07:09 PM May 09 2013 |

Al-issawi

Al-issawi

Iraq

Ola33, you are right, but i meant that the storries are unbelievable, just like those movies. 

05:37 PM May 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

CyrilCui

CyrilCui

China

Since I am a medical student, I had to learn the lesson about Medical Anatomy and do experiments about the dead bodies in Grade 1. So scared, you couldn’t imagine that scene! At that time I was shy and didn’t dare to do that. Then I must find something to exercise my guts. I began to watch horror movies with my roommates. I don’t know whether it was effective in those days, but I have to say the horror movies are really exciting and unforgettable.

I still like to watch horror movies a lot now. American, Japanese, Korean and Thai horror movies are all great. But…you know, I will never see them in the dark of night alone!!!

04:12 PM May 09 2013 |

Empty smile

Greece

Why am I here , mommm :’(  ,, LOL

03:47 PM May 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

farooq ahmed

Pakistan

I like horror stories alot

03:32 PM May 09 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Al-issawi, I don’t think the brutal reality of wars will fit  into the category of my favorite fantasies/fairy tales like Harry Poter, Lord of the Rings, Labrinth, Avatar, Crouching Tiger and hidden dragon, Pirots of the Carrebian, Never ending story!, Wizard of Oz, the Polar express! and it can be continued, continued and continued.

02:52 PM May 09 2013 |

Al-issawi

Al-issawi

Iraq

Yes, saba2, it is really dreadful stories in our country every day.I ’ m sure one day Hollywood will use those stories in next generation movies, they fit to horror and fantasy categories while they are real.

01:06 PM May 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

haitham4vip

Egypt

turn the body

11:51 AM May 09 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Samirah, my horror story is the same ;)

11:19 AM May 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

A father  while holding a new born  baby in his arms complained to me that  he couldn´t sleep  that night , as a consolation I told him: don´t worry , it is only during the first twenty years… big grin….   The latest horror story that is making headlines.  Three girls were kidnapped in Cleveland and kept locked up  in a dungeon of the house during ten years , what they had to  endure is beyond imagination.  

11:14 AM May 09 2013 |

dreadslayer

Turkey

i think most of horror stories are fiction we’re thinking of possibilty of its reality then we suppose it’s true stories.it comes from our imagination.so get relax and take your time 

11:08 AM May 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

phamhaquyen147

Viet Nam

having a kid is kind of horror story to me. My life is totally changed. I have to do lots of things that I couldn’t imagine before like feeding, cleaning his …...., changing diapers, baby crying…... Sometimes it makes me so stressful. but when the baby grows up, everything becomes better. Yes, BABY, happy and horror stories at the same time. Everyone has to face it. Haizzzzzzz…. 

10:08 AM May 09 2013 |

omar saidi

omar saidi

Tanzania, United Republic Of

Ooooh , in Zanzibar we have Ghost house tours it’s very frighining always we get a tourists to go there at night every one is afreid to stay the last .

He or she thought if the some thing dangerous occer he should be the first to effected .  ” It’s really funny ”   

09:23 AM May 09 2013 |

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast