Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

no matter how you slice it

简体
no matter how you slice it
无论你怎么看

Date: May 16 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Look, even if I don’t get one directly, eventually they’re just going to have to give me one when I get old. So no matter how you slice it, I’m getting one.”

- Actor Robert Downey Jr. on winning an Oscar (Us Weekly)

“瞧,就算我没有马上得奖,但等我老了,他们最后也不得不给我发一个。所以无论你怎么看,我都会得到一个奖。”
— 演员小罗伯特·唐尼 (Robert Downey Jr) 在谈论赢得奥斯卡奖时说

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

no matter what, whichever way you think about it

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever cut a pie into pieces? There are so many ways that you can do it. You can cut the pie in half. You can make many equal-sized slices, or you can make some pieces very large and some very small. In the end, though, no matter how you slice the pie, you’ll still end up with the same total amount.

When you say no matter how you slice it about a situation, you’re usually not talking about a pie. But what you’re saying is that no matter what angle you look at the situation from, or no matter how you think about it, or no matter what you do, the result will be the same. For example, your boss said you got “laid off”, and your other boss said you were “let go”, but, no matter how you slice it, it means that you don’t have a job anymore.

Robert Downey Jr. thinks he deserves an Oscar for his acting. He knows he might not get one soon, but he figures that eventually he’ll get one just because he’s old and the Academy feels sorry for him. So, whether sooner or later, no matter how you slice it, he’ll get that award eventually.

Can you use no matter how you slice it in a sentence?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I know he can be difficult, but no matter how you slice it, I feel the same way: I love him.”

“I may have to wake up at 5:30 AM, or it might be 5:45, but no matter how you slice it, it’s too early.”

“The result is the same no matter how you slice it.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Plx it does not matter how you look at it
by Plx
a2020 It's not important how you figure it out.
by a2020
cubi1604 Whatever you say
by cubi1604
DAMAVAND It doesn't matter how you look at it or how you consider it.
by DAMAVAND
Olivine no matter what happen
by Olivine
Julissita It doesn't matter how.
by Julissita
Orchestra anyway, in any case
by Orchestra
Manu4 Something will happen no matter the scenario.
by Manu4
shaerwan regardless of how one views something
by shaerwan

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Twotya

Twotya

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

You can’t change it, it’ll happen the way it is suppose to….

10:31 AM May 20 2013 |

ericayang

China

no matter how you slice it ,parents are parents

01:31 AM May 17 2013 |

ericayang

China

If you want to be a good parent, no matter how you slice it, you need to have a lot of patience

01:29 AM May 17 2013 |

Eliza09

Eliza09

United States

when you achieve a goal in your life, no matter how you slice it you know you are successful.

11:06 PM May 16 2013 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I got her all figured out already. Whenever I’m being read the riot act, I keep quiet as a mouse and then I hear “Are you listening to me or what?”, “I am” I would calmly reply, and I will not utter a hoot until I’m sure I will not be interrupted:) – then I propose a nice dinner and peace is restored.

“Mom, weren’t we just having a row earlier?”

“What argument?”

: )

Thanks Mr Walston, for this useful idiom “the riot act” 

11:00 PM May 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

englishteacher24/7

United States

Julito, it won’t hurt depending if Snoopyboy buys the right flowers, however, he’ll probably still have to hear the riot act read!

10:24 PM May 16 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

englishteacher,   could it help if on the way to her mother`s house  he should buy  the most fragant bouquet of flowers  so she might bury the hatchet and receive Snoopy with a mellow  heart. ?  lol…... 

09:58 PM May 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

englishteacher24/7

United States

Snoopyboy, it doesn’t matter how you slice it, you will have the riot act read to you all the way home, just know it!

09:48 PM May 16 2013 |

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

Snoopy, i don’t know who ate whole the pie, you can ask julito:D he knows certainly :D i just had the biggest piece ;)

06:18 PM May 16 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

snoopy,  your words. ” fate will follow its course  ” 

05:51 PM May 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

oh well, a racist guy that can’t book a flight right. I’d like to say I’m surprised Julito, (I’m not prejudging) but  somehow I’m not :) But I feel bad for him, this detour must have cost him a little fortune :)

05:48 PM May 16 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Snoopy …booking a flight to a wrong airport . I have met  long time ago a  guy that  was racist  against black people. He decided to book a flight to go to Spain  and when he got off the plane, to his surprise noticed that the airport was full of black people,on inquiry it turned   out that the destination  of that plane was Dakar, Senegal . No matter how you slice it  ,we attract  what we  are constantly thinking  on.     lol  .bad luck  ,he got into a wrong boarding gate.

05:23 PM May 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Who ate all the pie  : D?!

I’m looking at the photograph of this delectable-looking apple pie and I have one statement to make : don’t bother slicing it, let me bury my face in the tray and mutilate that pie  to its very last crumb, all of it, in one sitting : ).

I love that expression and the iron-clad statement of Mr.  Iron Man : ).I have a no-matter-how –you-slice –it attitude about many things, and some folks really resent that side of me. Some people claim how  irresponsible I look when my demeanor is  indifferent  in face of situations that, supposedly, call for hysteric concerns; when there’s virtually nothing I could have done to remedy the problem. I don’t  like to cry over spilled milk– I mop it and make do with some tap water, so to speak : )

Recently, I made the silly mistake of booking  a flight to a wrong airport and my mother was red furious about that, because that means she’d have to travel an extra 4 hours to come and pick me up : ). I tried to keep her calmed down and told her that I’m glad I spotted that in time  and perhaps I could fix it. I called up the online agency I booked from ,and the fees they want to charge me to change my itinerary were beyond insane!, I could have easily purchased two more tickets and  still pay less.  My mother took that opportunity to launch a tirade of unsavory adjectives at me : ). But as always, I managed to soothe her and proposed a solution that she could not turn down . I reckoned that the airlines policies are strict regarding flight cancelation or alteration  and I didn’t expect to be exempt from such rule. I assumed full responsibility for my mistake ,  coolly swallowed my pride when my mother was lecturing me : ) but I was swift in coming up with another option that cost me less than buying another ticket or changing my destination would have . Without cutting too deeply into details, I indirectly told my mother that no matter how she slices it, her son will eventually come to visit her : )

We cannot undo the already done .We certainly cannot predict the unforeseen circumstances we’re up against, but we can always make rational readjustments to try and water down their negative effects  in our lives. 

My sentence: No matter how you slice it, fate will follow its course.  : )

04:24 PM May 16 2013 |

rbair30

rbair30

Taiwan

it does not matter how you look at it

02:22 PM May 16 2013 |

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

julito, it seems i made your mouth water, no matter how you slice it, i’m still in shape :P

01:14 PM May 16 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Damavand…  no matter how you slice it ,you will gain weight.    watch your carbs..lol

12:42 PM May 16 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Look my son, no matter how you slice it, graduate school is expensive ,   if you want to  pursue  a master`s degree  you will have to get a job  to pay for it.

12:39 PM May 16 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

No matter how you slice it, spring and summer are the better seasons in the year.

When you work hard, no matter how you slice it, the results will be shown.

If you cough a long time, no matter how you slice it, you have to visit a doctor eventually.

If you want to be a good parent, no matter how you slice it, you need to have a lot of patience.

No matter how you slice it, to marry by love is better than without it. 

12:36 PM May 16 2013 |

onil1985

onil1985

Nepal

no matter how you slice it, you will gonna be another boy with guitar.

08:52 AM May 16 2013 |

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

No matter how you slice it, if you fail, you fail.

07:26 AM May 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

Likes (18):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: