Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

unfinished business

简体
unfinished business
未达成的心愿

Date: Aug 29 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“It’s a major bit of unfinished business in my life that I never got to do the show I wanted to do… show the world how tolerant and wonderful a city it was and could have been… and hopefully will be again.”

- Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain on doing an episode of his cooking show in Beirut (People)

“这是我生命中一件未达成的重要心愿,我从没有做过自己想做的节目,就是向世界展示这座城市曾经的、本来可能存在的以及很有希望再次获得的包容和精彩。”

- 名厨安东尼·伯尔顿 (Anthony Bourdain) 在贝鲁特制作他的美食节目时说

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

task or goal that hasn’t yet reached completion

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Isn’t it frustrating when you start a project and can’t finish it? Maybe you aren’t able to finish the project because you run out of time. Or maybe you run out of supplies. Or maybe something else of a higher priority comes along, and the original project suddenly becomes less important. Whatever the reason, it never feels great to have unfinished business.

Something doesn’t have to be a project, or be related to your job, to be considered unfinished business. You can have unfinished business to take care of with another person, if you feel that the two of you have a conflict that’s unresolved. You can even have unfinished business with a place, if you feel that you never got to experience the place in the way you hoped to.

That’s how Anthony Bourdain feels about Beirut, Lebanon. He wanted to do an episode of his cooking show there and was never able to. He considers it unfinished business that he was never able to show the world what a beautiful city he feels Beirut is.

Who or what do you have unfinished business with?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I have some unfinished business with my brother. He still hasn’t apologized for beating me up when I was five years old. “

“I have some unfinished business at the university. I never really got to do the research I wanted to do. “

“I feel as if I have unfinished business with my hometown. I never figured out if I loved or hated it there.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Julissita Something that hasn't been done.
by Julissita
Olivine goal that has not been reached
by Olivine
ana karnia it means the work that a person want to do but he hasn't done it yet.
by ana karnia
Manu4 Something that you've not accomplished as a goal in your own life
by Manu4
A goal that's not been achieved yet.
by DarknessLight
dearpesar something you didn't chance to do
by dearpesar

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

CandiceAcclo

China

i have some unfinished businesses with traveling

09:33 AM Sep 02 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I have some unfinished businesses with my country…

07:24 PM Sep 01 2013 |

Jobee

Jobee

China

could I say I have unfinished business with girls?

06:35 AM Aug 31 2013 |

DarknessLight

Germany

I have this story I started to write a couple of months ago but haven’t finished yet. My mind was kinda blank and I ran out of ideas, then I totally lost interest. I guess it’s going to be an unfinished business until I feel like writing again! lol!

01:01 PM Aug 29 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

I always try to finish all the project what I whenever have, because I hate unfinished business. Certainly, it isn’t always successful, but I realy try. I consider that before you begin to do something, you need to calculate all main details which help you to realize the future project. You need to think what resource you need, how time you need and can you do it oneself or you need to ask assistance from other people. Also you need to have understandable plan how to realize your idea. In any case, I suppose that you have to have a lot of patience and persistence for the achievment of the goal, because without those qualities you can do anything.
I sincerely wish everybody to realize all your plans and haven’t got unfinished business!

11:15 AM Aug 29 2013 |

Eugennnia

Eugennnia

Russian Federation

Unfinished business sounds painfully familiar to me. As a teacher I want to do a lot of projects both with children and on my own. But I inevitably run out of time. I like my creative ideas but they need time to reach competion. In Russia we say: “If you run after two hares, you will catch neither”. So the way out is to set a priority.

10:50 AM Aug 29 2013 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

ohh ı remember my unfinished business, ı started to write a poem a few years ago but now ı remember only one line :(

Sorrow touched my eyes 

10:15 AM Aug 29 2013 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

life is like that …there will be unfinished things always in life..

unfinished business…unfinished relations…unfinished books..unfinished stories ..

09:46 AM Aug 29 2013 |

samand55

samand55

Azerbaijan

my unfinished business is my future,i have no exactly plan about that.

08:30 AM Aug 29 2013 |

1 person likes this

mohamma

mohamma

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

some time, we can do anything.

07:36 AM Aug 29 2013 |

1 person likes this

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

i am still have unfinished business in studing english. i still got a long way to go.

01:46 AM Aug 29 2013 |

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast