Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Dyeing Your Hair
Dyeing Your Hair

Learn English with this dyeing your hair English lesson

Date: Sep 21 2018

Themes: Alternative, Fashion

Grammar: Contractions and Abbreviations

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever dyed your hair? You probably threw caution to the wind, went to your hairdresser and asked him to color your hair fluorescent orange. No? You’re not alone. A lot of people think changing one’s hair color isn’t for them. It’s a big step, that’s for sure!

It must be hard to work as a hairdresser at a salon. It’s one thing to add highlights to someone’s hair, but to change all of it to another color is a big deal. If the person getting her hair dyed doesn’t like it, it’ll take a lot of work to get everything back to how it was before. That’s why it’s so important to know exactly what you want before the big day.

Find out what Marni has done to her hair and what Lily thinks of it in this English lesson about changing the way you look.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Lily

Lily

Marni

Marni

Lily:  Why are you wearing that hat?

Marni:  OK. Are you ready?

Lily:  Yeah.

Marni:  I just went to the salon and I had my hair dyed!

Lily:  Oh my gosh! You look great. Your hair is a lovely shade of fluorescent blue.

Marni:  I know. I just wanted to do something crazy. I threw caution to the wind and my hairdresser just went for it.

Lily:  Wow, she did a great job. I wish I could do that. I really wanted to get some purple highlights. I have this office job and they have a dress code. People are really intolerant about flying your freak flag around here.

Marni:  Do they think that’s unprofessional if you have that kind of hair color?

Lily:  Yeah, you know.

Marni:  I don’t plan on having this forever, obviously, but for a little while, I thought it’d be fun.

Lily:  I salute you, my friend. I think it’s a great choice.

Marni:  Thanks!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Contractions and Abbreviations" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Lily wonders why Marni’s wearing a hat. Surprise! Marni dyed her hair blue. Not just blue, but fluorescent blue. It’s a really big change and she’s kind of excited. You have to be pretty brave to make such a big change in the way you look.

Even though Lily likes and compliments Marni’s hair, she doesn’t think she could do it herself. Unfortunately, Lily works in an office that has a dress code. She knows that her boss is intolerant to crazy hair colors, so she doesn’t want to seem unprofessional by dyeing hers. Lily seems disappointed by this fact and wishes she could really be herself at work.

Do you dye your hair? Have you ever dyed it an unusual color? What did you friends and family think? Should unusual hair colors be OK at all jobs?

Comments

EssiSaarinen

Turkey

Coloring my hair is not an issue. What about coloring one’s heart?

03:41 PM Sep 30 2018 |

fcesar10Super Member!

Brazil

There are men who dye their hair, but I’d never dyed mine. I think it’s too artificial and even women should be careful, because it’s not for all of them that it gets good.

01:22 PM Sep 25 2018 |

fightycat20

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Infact I am not allowed to dye my hair before 18.But,Even if I get the permission I won’t dye all over it!

I only like to dye a few part of my hair with pink and blue because I love my hair color and just sometimes want to addpink an blue too _

02:07 PM Mar 07 2016 |

1 person likes this

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

When we were  teenagers, my best friend asked  for my help , as she wanted to dye her hair to become a blond. So we put  on  a  colour gel  on her hair and began to wait for results. Twenty minuets later , on  turning out a towel  ,we saw that her hair had became  yellow and looked like  paper , as  they had been  burned.  My friend felt despair, and we both  were crying.   She  had to  wear a  bandana  to cover her head after it.
As for me, I have never dyed my hair another colour. They  are rather weak and I dont want  to threw  coution to the  wind  and   experimenting with them.

12:07 AM Apr 19 2015 |

Sandra95

Sandra95

Sweden

it is obvious that there are some restrections or some kind of limmitations in offical enviorments that dont lets us to color our hair in crazy way.. such flashy colours like purple…

i like my hair colour cuz i had terrible time of it when i dyed just one part of my hair:D :D

bring it back to normal color of your hair is hard… esp when dye your hair with red color ….. if you ask me,REally REAly you’ll have a terrible time of it

09:51 AM Jan 11 2014 |

amene13

amene13

it s like a change

whene i was tired and unhappy , my brother told me dyeing your hair

that was like magic.

I think its good for women not men

05:11 PM Oct 19 2013 |

Drmahsa1995

no i dont dye cuz i think the real color of our hair is more beautiful than other colors

07:41 PM Oct 15 2013 |

Moatasim

Moatasim

United States

it’s your choice if you want to cut or paint your hair

do whatever you think is good

03:43 AM Oct 14 2013 |

princessanika

I have never painting my hair or put color on my hair. and i have never cut my hair like Mily Cyruse. I think that model of hairs are just for boys. but with out any color. I think the childeren and teenagers never need to put color on our hair cause we on’t need. we have nice hair for ourselfe. never do risk and cut your hair like a crazy models!

07:26 PM Oct 13 2013 |

*butterfly wings*

Saudi Arabia

Ever since i was young, i have been wanting to dye my hair. From the age of 19 untill the age of 27, i dyed my hair several times, all brighter than my natural hair color. My hair got damaged because it went through all those chemical processing and bleaching. It got dry,thin and tangled when brushing. 2 years ago i decided to stop coloring my hair and go back to my natural hair color.My hair is 2 different shades now, the roots are dark and the ends are light and i do not plan on dyeing the ends to match the roots. I am just goning to let my hair grow out and i might goning to get a trim or haircut to get rid of the light endings soon.It is been 2 years and i am in love with my natural hair color. :)

08:15 PM Oct 11 2013 |

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

I dye my hair gold highlights. It gives me a younger , fashionable ,and energetic look. I like the feeling when I feel good about myself. I think as long as the dyed hair isn’t in such wried color as purple, yellow, or mixed color, it should be allowed , even at work. And it shouldn’t affect people’s professionalism as it only shows a person’s personality . I don’t know how you would take for a pseron dyeing his/her hair, but I think it’s cool.

03:06 PM Oct 10 2013 |

1 person likes this

Odyssee

Odyssee

China

Hi DanielBorges

thk u for your reply . i get it .

OMG, seeing your note , i realize that i even didnt notice that the vocabulary is from this lesson . i think when i read this lesson , my head must have been in the clouds.

to sweetcendi : thk u too  .

11:44 AM Oct 10 2013 |

1 person likes this

DanielBorges

Portugal

Dear Odyssee,

I wanted to write: “Fly their freak flag”, instead of Flag their freak flag.
I only have changed the pronoun of the expression from the vocabulary of this lesson: “Fly your freak flag” to “Fly their freak flag”. I think that it is correct to, i don’t know.

Fly their freak flag – they are themselves, even if their appearance or habits are considered unusual.

Thank you for your note and question. I have update my comment, considering your remark.

Regards

10:48 AM Oct 10 2013 |

1 person likes this

sweetkendi

sweetkendi

Cote D'Ivoire

It means that you’ve to be yourself despite all. Try to claim yourself as you want

08:57 AM Oct 10 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

I like to dye my hair. Happily or not;), I don’t like to risk in the matters of my hair, so I choose bright, but not extreme colours for them. I can’t imagine myself and my head with blue, red or yellow colour. Though, I know unusual people who prefer to dye their hair in extreme colours and do it rather often. I remember my colleague, who dyed her hair when her mood was changed, for example, three or four times in the six months. I remember her hair in green, orange, red and blue colours.
In spite of my attitude to the dyeing of hair, I consider that we should remember about strong negative sides in the such matters. Let’s admit that dyeing of our hair don’t make our hair more health, beautiful and tidy, but vice versa. So sometimes I try to give my hair a rest and give them a time without dyeing.

07:33 AM Oct 10 2013 |

Odyssee

Odyssee

China

Hi DanielBorges

i wanna ask u a question . i googled but i still dont understand the meaning of ‘flag their freak flag ’ clearly . could u tell me ?

i’ll be very appreciate it if u can explain it to me .

it’s ok anyone others who know tell me . thks

03:11 AM Oct 10 2013 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

In my country  it is natural that women  would like to dye their hair ,either going at  a salon or in their own home. Many of them prefer  going from brunette to blonde  hair. Blonde hair has such an appeal that I ponder  why women with a dark complexion would like  to  be blondes , looks so unnatural to me.  I don´t like crazy  hair colors , I think that by dyeing the hair  with flashy colors  they want    to attract attention . Of course, i might be wrong .

11:00 PM Oct 09 2013 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

No i don’t dye my hair, and i never did it before. If i dyeing my hair, my family would find it unusual. My friends would accept it because they fly their freak flag also, and they respect differences in others. In work, probably my colleges would find it unprofessional, and i took the risk of getting fired due the intolerance of my boss to that idea.
I think there are standards for different professional groups, and i found it well. For example, people related to arts, fashion or musicians tend to throw caution to the wind, they are symbols and they must to make the difference, so it seems okay to dye the hair. Executives should have more conventional hairstyles to transmit a message of confidence and credibility. So for me, both are appropriated dress codes depending the environments. This are so much true so much traditional it’s your culture. If you leave in a melting pot, it will not be a problem. ;)

10:28 PM Oct 09 2013 |

taauiza

taauiza

Jordan

hi

i have one advice for girls in this topic

girls :  with time it will be necessary for us to get rid of the gray hair using dyeing . so that every girl must stay on her natural   hair’s color even reach  30 years .

becouse dyeing  harms hair and makes appearing of  a gray hair is faster ..

so, my dear enjoy in your natural look :)

09:02 PM Oct 09 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I do like having my hair colored, and even right now mine are fluorescent yellow, lol !

08:38 PM Oct 09 2013 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast