Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Stomachaches
Stomachaches

Learn English with this stomachaches English lesson

Date: Nov 14 2018

Themes: Health

Grammar: Present Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When your stomach starts to cramp and you feel a little queasy, you had better head for the bathroom quickly! Nausea can be quite sudden and keep you from getting anything done.

Huddling over the toilet is really miserable. When you’re sick with the flu, it’s important to stay hydrated. As soon as possible, you should drink something like water or a light carbonated soda. For food, stick to something bland like crackers or toast.

Food poisoning is another reason you might have a stomachache. People who are lactose intolerant or allergic to gluten sometimes get upset stomaches when they accidentally eat the wrong food. Other people might suffer from food poisoning, which happens when the food they ate was actually bad.

Find out who has a stomachache and what he requests for a cure in this English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Jeff

Jeff

Mason:  Oh man, I just got really nauseous. Do you have any Tums or anything?

Jeff:  Do you think you’re going to puke?

Mason:  It’s very possible there’s a barf in my future. I don’t know, like a ginger ale or something. Is there a vending machine near here?

Jeff:  I think so. The store is just halfway down the block. I could run and get you some. I heard that’s a pretty tried and true method.

Mason:  Yeah, and sometimes some Saltines. Anything kind of bland and basic to fill my stomach. I just have to sit down.

Jeff:  Do you have cramps?

Mason:  Yeah.

Jeff:  Or more nausea?

Mason:  Both.

Jeff:  Both?

Mason:  Absolutely.

Jeff:  Head to the bathroom. I’ll run to the store. I’ll be right back. Where did you eat today? Do you think that’s what caused it?

Mason:  I ate at that sushi cart that’s in the really bright sun.

Jeff:  It could be anything, but, alright, I’ll be right back.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason is having terrible problems with his stomach. He has cramps, and he feels queasy, a sure sign of nausea.

Jeff wants to help. He offers to go to the store to buy Mason some soda and crackers, bland food that will help settle his stomach. Maybe it’s not a cure, but hopefully it’ll help.

It sounds like Mason might have food poisoning from his lunch, but it’s not certain. He will need to stay in the bathroom for awhile, until he doesn’t have to puke anymore.

Have you ever had a terrible stomachache? What foods or drink do you take when you’re feeling nauseous?

Comments

inventive2

inventive2

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

One of the best cure for nausea is the use of Ginger 👌
We use it in Iran, it’s very good.

01:41 PM Nov 14 2018 |

1 person likes this

borad78

borad78

Turkey

I suffered from stomache especially nausea while I was travelling ,also when I sailed I had nausea and I used to throw up .It has gone away on its own after years.

05:59 AM Nov 14 2018 |

1 person likes this

leilahavaneh

i usually feel queasy after eating greacy foods and for m drinking pepsi is the best way to get rid of barfing.

12:45 PM Dec 06 2013 |

1 person likes this

bent_alhoda

the pic was unsuitable!!

in a passing glance i hesitated that if the lesson is about hip or stomach _

03:58 PM Dec 01 2013 |

1 person likes this

Noël

Japan

When i traveled Southeast Asia, i ate a rice soup for dinner.

It was so tasty, but i felt queasy a few hours after the meal.

i went to a hospital nearby to see a doctor, and got hospitalised

eventually for a few days :(

we have to be careful to eat even when a dish looks so delicious!

02:40 PM Dec 01 2013 |

roze1997

roze1997

i think the most reasons of stomaches are foods!

also it because of Microbes that are around us ! ( it is the most reason of stomache in children!)

what do you eat when you have stomache ?

we ( here in Iran ) always use Peppermint extract , it is really good!

11:17 AM Dec 01 2013 |

omar saidi

omar saidi

Tanzania, United Republic Of

In our Zanzibar I sland we actually use tradition madicine for stomachaches problems , Alovera plants or boiling water from Neem trees is useful to us and it help us to feel better .

U can try one day at your Home then you will realise.

01:02 PM Nov 30 2013 |

Kamila1985

Kamila1985

Poland

I don’t know if it’s true because I didn’t try it but some people in Poland drink Coca Cola for stomach aches and they say that it helps.

11:47 AM Nov 30 2013 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

I am lactose intolerance.

I had a heavy stomachache before as I ate the seafood which wasnt’ clean I though. It made me feel nauseous. I vomited in the end. Then my parents asked me to drink more boiled salt water and eat congee. After I took the medicine, I felt better. That’s the tried and true way,though.

03:39 AM Nov 30 2013 |

Youky Yeung

China

My husband offen have stomachaches, so I always let him to eat some gentle food, like soup, gruel to protect his stomach.

03:07 AM Nov 30 2013 |

2 people like this

ayhaan

ayhaan

Turkey

I dont remember when i had stomach

05:24 PM Nov 29 2013 |

1 person likes this

saveme911

saveme911

Algeria

well for me ,a cup of ginger drink is the magical potion for feeling nauseous ,it really smoothes things up in ur stomach ,but what i really hate is when my stomach squirms in fear or anxiety ,cos as u know human nerves arn’t easy to handle …unless if we want to get rid of our limbic system !... that will be devastating ,a human without emotion …scary…kidding

04:31 PM Nov 29 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

One of the severe cases I remember by getting poisoned by food when I was 7 years old The cultprit was the  not proper prepared mushrooms. It was horrible. So horrible that I still remember. The awfull thing from all of it is that I had to drink 3 litters of  I can’t drink a lot. I don’t know how some people can drink in one go one litre or two and it’s easy for them. Not for me :)

I survived that food poisoning and somehow it didn’t turn me away from mushrooms. I just love them and from salmon that has been caught half dead and presented to gullible me.

02:53 PM Nov 29 2013 |

sara1998

sara1998

actuly once my pressure was too low and i don’y know why but i had my worst stomachache on that time so after a shot for my pressure i just tried to sleep for my stomachache….

i got better but if i wouldn’t i could take some pills…....!

01:33 PM Nov 29 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

The only thing I dislike with stomachaches is Huddling over the toilet all the time, it’s really boring and don’t really appreciate it.

Stomachaches to me are often due to milk, because I’m a lactose intolerant.

But for others it may be  food poisoning that causes stomachaches.

Decayed foods too !!!

The tried and true way to get over it is drinking much water asap

01:00 PM Nov 29 2013 |

2 people like this

arly88

arly88

Cameroon

i’ve already have a terrible stomackache caused by a mix of imcompatible foods. after having eaten, my abdomen started to cramp, i felt like i wanted to puke, and each minute i burped and then there was a bad odor coming out from my mouth. even to me it was unpleasant, imagine if there’s someone around you…to treat this sickness, you only want a rock salt, dip it in z little water and drink the solution..good apetite because it’s awful.

11:58 AM Nov 29 2013 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

Hmmm. I prefer to drink ginger ale.  To tell the truth ,i rarely  feel  queasy . Mason by now  should have understood that  next time  he should better refrain from buying food from  that sushi cart , sushi  must  be  refrigerated and not in the bright sun. Good for Jeff  , i would like to have many friends like  him.

10:56 AM Nov 29 2013 |

inflamara

inflamara

Poland

I’ve got stomachache when I’am nervous :/ Then I’m drinking a lot of water and sometimes camomile,it mostly helps :)

09:57 AM Nov 29 2013 |

S&W

S&W

China

I had stomachache when i get cold.Usually i will drink plenty of boiled water.If it still worse ,i will choose medicine

07:33 AM Nov 29 2013 |

Likes (29):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast