Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English with this introductions English lesson

Date: Dec 31 2013

Themes: Friend, Holidays, Party, Romance, Soap Opera

Grammar: Present Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

If you’ve ever moved to a new neighborhood, you might know how it feels. All of the neighbors are wondering about the new family down the street. They might stop at your house to welcome you. All of the kids living nearby are curious if the family includes children they can play with, like you. It’s exciting and scary at the same time. You’re the new kid on the block.

Being the new kid on the block simply means that you have just moved to a new home. It’s usually used when talking about the place where someone lives. However, it can also be used to describe a person in their new job or school. It’s understood that if you’re the new kid on the block at work or school, you’re still learning how everything is done. It’s OK to make mistakes when you’re still new, so being the new kid isn’t so bad. It might even be great!

Meet Lily’s new roommate, Rafael, in this English lesson about New Year’s Eve.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Lily

Lily

Amanda

Amanda

Jeff

Jeff

Rafael

Rafael

Marni

Marni

Lily:  I’m so glad you guys could all come.

Amanda:  I know, Lily. Thanks so much for having us over! With Mason on a work trip, I didn’t know how I was going to celebrate New Year’s Eve.

Jeff:  Yeah, me neither. It seems a little too soon to bring one of the many women I’ve been dating over for New Year’s.

Rafael:  Hey, Lily!

Lily:  Hey! What’s up? Hey, guys, I want you to meet my new roommate, Rafael.

Amanda:  OK, hi!

Lily:  He just moved in a week ago.

Marni:  Hi, Rafael. I’m Marni. It’s so nice to meet you. So, what’s your story? Are you single?

Rafael:  My story? Well, I’ve been in town two weeks now. I just got here and I needed a place to stay. I saw Lily’s ad on the internet, and I thought it sounded perfect. My stuff isn’t even here yet. It’s still being shipped.

Marni:  Wow!

Amanda:  Two weeks! Wow. So, how does it feel being the new kid on the block?

Rafael:  So far, so good. Naturally it’s going to take a while for me to get used to things, but luckily, Lily here has been really great about showing me around.

Marni:  Oh, she has, has she?

Jeff:  Yeah, I’m sure she’s the perfect tour guide.

Rafael:  She is.

Lily:  Well, you know, I remember what it was like when I first moved here. It took me a long time to figure out where I was and to get the layout of the city. I didn’t even know where to buy my groceries.

Rafael:  Well, she is a really good tour guide. Any time I have a question, I’ll text her and she’ll get back to me right away.

Amanda:  Hey, Rafael. Have a drink. Bottoms up!

Lily:  Here. Have a hat, too.

Marni:  So, Rafael, where did you move here from?

Rafael:  New York.

Jeff:  Oh, wow. That’s quite a change. How does it feel to move somewhere like this after such a cosmopolitan place?

Rafael:  I really like it here. New York had a lot of opportunities. Bless you…

Amanda:  Thank you.

Rafael:  ... but I’ve wanted to move to a more laid back city for a while. So, I’m glad I’m here.

Amanda:  Well, then Lily’s the perfect roommate because she just came back from this retreat. I think she learned all about yoga and how to breathe.

Lily:  Oh, yeah! That’s true. It was very centering and a very relaxing experience.

Rafael:  I had no idea.

Lily:  Yeah!

Rafael:  You really just might be the perfect roommate.

Marni:  To perfect roommates!

Jeff:  Happy New Year!

Lily:  Happy New Year!

Amanda:  Marni, are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Big news: Lily has a new roommate! His name is Rafael, and he moved to town from New York only two weeks ago. He left New York for a more laid back city, and he seems very happy to be Lily’s new roommate. She’s showing him around, answering his questions, and helping Rafael feel at home.

Marni and Amanda have their own ideas about Rafael and how he might fit into Lily’s life. They ask him if he’s single, and tease Lily about being a good tour guide for Rafael. Amanda points out that Lily just learned about relaxing and yoga, so she knows all about being laid back. At the end of the episode, Amanda makes a comment to Marni that shows how she thinks Lily and Rafael might have a romantic interest in each other.

What do you think of Rafael? Are he and Lily a good match as roommates? Could they be a good romantic match, too?

Comments

Jollyy

United Kingdom

You could now get the most efficient and best trending apps and apks @ Change My Software . Thanks for this wonderful article! hats off to your writing! great post with rich quality content! Very resourceful and informative! Keep posting! Would love to follow up on your upcoming future posts!

12:51 PM Oct 09 2017 |

divine26

divine26

United States

Hello, I am divine!
How are you? hope you are fine and in perfect condition of health. Please I went through your profile and i read it and took interest in it, please if you don’t mind i will like you to write me on this ID(divine_abidi(at) y a h o o .c o m)hope to hear from you soon, and I will be waiting for your mail because i have something VERY important to tell you.
Lots of love
divine!.

08:26 PM Apr 19 2014 |

Eudora T Mushi

Tanzania, United Republic Of

I think both are good  people. but please take time to know each other more before going too far.

05:45 AM Jan 06 2014 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

It can be seen that during 2 weeks everything were all right between Rafael and Lily. I think rafael is a good guy as same as Lily. As a matter of fact they are suit for each other as roommates. As long as they spend so much time together, it could be that they be a perfect romantic match, I hope so.

03:12 PM Jan 03 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

Happy new year to you allllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish Lily and Rafael have a happy ending! :)))

02:13 AM Jan 01 2014 |

2 people like this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Happy new year 2014 to you my friends and acquaintances in englishbaby !!!!

I love you  !!!

03:29 PM Dec 31 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

According to me they’re gonna make a good couple down the road

03:27 PM Dec 31 2013 |

1 person likes this

liuan2013

China

Happy new year. real relatinship ? i dont think so.

03:04 PM Dec 31 2013 |

1 person likes this

jein

jein

Indonesia

Happy new year 2014. :)

01:07 PM Dec 31 2013 |

rastak

rastak

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hi

i think they may have a good relationship but Marni shaould pay attention more  about him bec they are from different culture.

01:01 PM Dec 31 2013 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

Happy new year guys .!!  I am -as Marni and Amanda – thinking that on 2014 Lily is going to change her status from single to in a relationship . Good for her. 

11:37 AM Dec 31 2013 |

3 people like this

mim_dica

mim_dica

India

Lily be careful he is still a unknown person .Dont trust him so early Lol…......

09:41 AM Dec 31 2013 |

songbiao

China

Happy New Year! 2014 from China.

09:20 AM Dec 31 2013 |

vorotok

vorotok

Russian Federation

Happy New Year! 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!

07:56 AM Dec 31 2013 |

S&W

S&W