Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

give a hoot

give a hoot

Date: Oct 25 2018

Themes: Celebrity

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“We’re really excited about adult stories out of high school when nobody gives a hoot about you. How does that feel to suddenly be nobody from being the biggest hero?”

TV producer Brad Falchuk, talking about the next season of Glee (CNN)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

show interest in; care about

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Owls are birds that sleep during the day and hunt at night. To communicate with other birds, most owls hoot. It’s a way of letting the other owls know what is going on. When people hoot, it’s also to communicate something. Maybe it’s support for a favorite sports team, or approval for an attractive person.

When somebody gives a hoot about something, it means that issue is important. There’s something to be communicated. If a person doesn’t give a hoot, however, he/she doesn’t care at all. Most often, we hear this expression in the negative sense.

Talking about the next series of the popular TV show Glee, producer Brad Falchuk said the characters in the show are going to find out what life is like outside of high school, where other people don’t give a hoot about teenage popularity. It’s true that as life changes, things that were once important might not matter as time goes on.

What things do you not give a hoot about? Was there something important to you in the past that doesn’t matter anymore?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I don’t give a hoot about what dress you wear. Just hurry up. We’re going to be late!”

“Sally doesn’t give a hoot about which team wins the Superbowl.”

“None of the students gives a hoot about the final examination. Everybody is ready for summer break!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Manu4 To care or give importance to something or someone
by Manu4
apatchi to care at all about persons or things
by apatchi
If someone doesn't give a hoot about you it's because he/she does not believe that you are capable to do something.
by Michelecoelho
pay attention to someone
by bibihoang

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Englishlova57

United States

I dont give a hoot about your feelings. Lol

09:53 PM Nov 16 2018 |

Press1

Press1

Aruba

@wordsmith  Joan Jett, that pioneer women of the late 70s and early 80s!!! Yeah, she certainly didn’t give a damn about her reputation , hehe

01:24 PM Oct 26 2018 |

1 person likes this

Wordsmith

WordsmithSuper Member!

United States

@Press1 I love it! You reminded me of the song “Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett. :)

06:40 PM Oct 25 2018 |

1 person likes this

Press1

Press1

Aruba

I don’t give a hoot about my reputation. 

03:22 PM Oct 25 2018 |

1 person likes this

liguohui88

liguohui88

China

I don’t give a hoot about how others judge me. I just keep doing what I love.

02:04 PM Oct 25 2018 |

abaan

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

We don’t give a hoot about trivial things as we get older.

01:49 PM Oct 25 2018 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

Actually, I deeply regret myself for losing opportunities and wrong decisions in the past. However, nowadays I try to don’t give a hoot about them. Furthermore, all things that i attend are the future and pulling off strict ahead as hard as i can for achieving successfulness. 

09:03 AM Mar 27 2014 |

bravevivian

Ecuador

Currently I give a hoot about my loved ones lives.  I care for them.  Their success or fails.  Now that’s important because they are the only ones are there for me too.  They support me when I have a problem or when something happens.

In the past I didn’t realized this.  I was focused on my job, but it wasn’t worthy.  You change your job.  But your family remains. 

09:08 PM Mar 23 2014 |

hattomi

hattomi

Yemen

@AryelLanes you made me cry,, good shot to the subject .. respect bro ..

08:27 AM Mar 23 2014 |

1 person likes this

hattomi

hattomi

Yemen

I give a hoot about my real friends very much.. I’m ready to do any thing for them , doesn’t matter where they live on this earth .. and also there are many things i give a hoot about in this life ,, the one who tell me he doesn’t give a hoot to anything in this life I’ll tell him ” why do you still a live ” .

08:22 AM Mar 23 2014 |

1 person likes this

iammarkk

iammarkk

Brazil

I have never given a hoot about people’s opinion about sports such as “soccer”, politics and religion. lol

09:31 PM Mar 20 2014 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I give a hoot to anyone who needs some help.

09:07 PM Mar 20 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

today, if you don’t give a hoot about her feelings,

tomorrow,it can be late…

08:57 PM Mar 20 2014 |

bom222a

Viet Nam

dont give a hoot about what others say about you, just keep your head held high and look forward

02:04 PM Mar 20 2014 |

nellina

nellina

Russian Federation

It`s not necessary to give a hoot about your past  and future mistakes, because our life is not  a  typical film scenario and our bad or right decisions form your today character.

People are imperfect,that`s way they are the most beautiful and interesting creations!!!

While we are not perfect,we are alive!!!

01:05 PM Mar 20 2014 |

designer32

designer32

Turkey

I dont give a hoot about anything :) it is not worth :) time to go on :)

10:03 AM Mar 20 2014 |

AryelLanes

AryelLanes

Brazil

Our preferences are changed as time goes by. Life is a change. You have to learn how to leave the past in the past and move on… Although I was always saying that I couldn’t see the time for that to end, I loved high school. I just didn’t know that… I miss it SOOOO much! The friends, the classes, the moments, the jokes… No matter how hard it was sometimes, at least we had someone to call, someone to count on, people that we grew up with… The real life is a way different. No one gives a hoot about you! We forget how it is like to spend time with a good friend and turn ourselves into machines that are always busy with work… Looking for a way to make more and more money. Life is so short! When we realize what really happened, we are already old. We die, and the money that we worked so hard to get is left behind to others…

04:12 PM Mar 19 2014 |

Likes (25):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast