Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Lucy
Lucy

Learn English with this movies English lesson

Date: Jul 25 2014

Themes: Celebrity

Grammar: Articles, Quantifiers, and Determiners

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Films about superhumans are not new. Superhumans have different powers, like being able to know what someone else is thinking, having amazing strength, or being able to live through anything. Very few movie superhumans are women, however. And this woman has all of the powers you can imagine, especially intelligence.

Who are we talking about? “Lucy” is a superhuman played by Scarlet Johansson in a futuristic movie in theaters this August. Lucy is made to carry drugs inside her body, but before they are delivered, the drugs leak into her stomach and give her incredible powers. Now Lucy has control over herself and her world, and she will never be made to do anything ever again.

Is this movie’s premise interesting to Brian or Marni? Read on in today’s English lesson about being able to tap into things you didn’t know you could do.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Brian

Brian

Marni

Marni

Brian:  Did you see the trailer for the new Scarlett Johansson movie, “Lucy?”

Marni:  I did. It looks very interesting.

Brian:  Yeah. I was surprised that she was in another action movie besides “The Avengers.”

Marni:  Yeah, she hasn’t done a lot of action movies, but I think that’s a good next step for her.

Brian:  Yeah. It seems interesting, the whole idea that you could use more of your brain than most people.

Marni:  They say that the average human only uses about 10% of their brain capacity. So, the premise of this film is, what if you’re able to tap into 100% capacity?

Brian:  Yeah. It reminded me a lot of “The Matrix,” but with Morgan Freeman and Scarlett Johansson as opposed to Keanu Reeves.

Marni:  It is an interesting concept. It’ll be interesting to see how they portray it. It looks kind of futuristic.

Brian:  Do you think you’re going to go see it?

Marni:  Let’s definitely go see it.

Brian:  All right. Sounds good.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Articles, Quantifiers, and Determiners" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Both Marni and Brian are curious about the new action movie with Scarlett Johansson. It’s called “Lucy,” and it’s a movie set in the future about being able to use more of your brain. Marni shares that the average person only uses 10% of his or her brain, but the character Lucy is able to use 100%!

The two discuss the career of Scarlett Johansson, and they agree that being in another action movie will be a good next step for her. The very popular actor Morgan Freeman is in the film, too. Both are interested to see “Lucy,” and Marni suggests that she and Brian go see it together. They make a date to see it, but only as friends.

Do you like Scarlett Johansson’s movies? Do you plan to see “Lucy?” What kind of movie do you think it will be?

Comments

WhellOfTime

Turkey

I watch few Scarlett Johansson’s movie but ı think she is very good at action films. I saw Lucy and we watched this film. 

10:04 PM Dec 24 2015 |

vik32

vik32

India

yes i will be going to watch this movie for sure. i like scarlett johnsn’s movies last time i watched avengers and liked it so much. moreover, i like watching movies with superpowers. i used to watch heroes serial. 

06:22 PM Sep 18 2014 |

ClaraC

ClaraC

Myanmar

Its in theatre here.

I havn’t seen it but I will because I’m quite curious of how Scarlet will potray in the action movie :)

08:27 AM Aug 06 2014 |

ar2011

ar2011

Brazil

Ive hearded about Scarlet a lot, but I prefer other movies genres.

11:47 PM Jul 31 2014 |

S&W

S&W

China

I like Scarlett Johansson’s movie,She is the cover of my first english magzine.Coincidently,We talked about her new movie “Lucky” in english baby,I had a plan to see it when it comes out. Among all her movies,Girl with a pearl earring is my favorate.

03:33 PM Jul 29 2014 |

1 person likes this

Andyloy

Andyloy

China

It has not been released in China, I am looking forward to it.

09:35 AM Jul 28 2014 |

missdolly

missdolly

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Scarlet Johansson in my faviorate singer and actress and all of my friends know that i love this type of movie so i wanna see it.

06:22 AM Jul 28 2014 |

cmoriwaki

United States

I like Scarlett Johanson. “Virgin suicide,” “Manny and Lo” and “Lost in translation” she appeared are my favorite movies.
Human brain’s possibility is interesting topics.
Actually, to understand the movie “Matrix” was hard for me. And maybe I haven’t been able to understand this movie’s exact concept. Similarity of Matrix and Lucy is fascinated me. I will go to see this movie.
I saw a TV program. It said the computer will be more than human brain until 2045.
I felt little bit horrible to hear this news.”Human only uses 10% of his or her brain,” this maybe a only possibility to win the computer. “SF’s world has been getting real.

10:17 PM Jul 27 2014 |

2 people like this

Dominika23

Dominika23

Poland

I like most of her movies, except for examples Avengers. it wasn’t bad but also not good enough for me. I hope that Lucy will be as good as “Her” which i saw recently.

...and I haven’t seen Morgan Freeman for a looooong time in any movie, can’t wait !

11:46 PM Jul 26 2014 |

ttsuka

ttsuka

Japan

With her hyper brain capacity, I think she will be in the sky with diamonds. 

10:59 PM Jul 26 2014 |

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

i read the summery of film and i dont think it even is worth watching ,i saw a serial named(believe) with the same sbject a girl who is a superhuman and has enemies etc …when i found it nonsense i stopped watching it .

i am not interested in such movies like 4 wonders and lucy..

04:44 PM Jul 26 2014 |

rabindra shrestha

Nepal

yeah i like scarlett johansson’s movie and yes i like to go see lucy movie. now  i saw lucy trailer on youtube its really really  amazing i love it…...   

03:03 PM Jul 26 2014 |

Tarita_Rambler

Antarctica

As I looked at the photo added to this lesson I thought “Lucy” was a melodrama. Scarlett here looks not a bit a superhuman :) The film may be interesting, however.

08:40 PM Jul 25 2014 |

fr34kyn01535

Germany

This is awesum, love to see Scarlett Johansson doin something not Avengerish’

06:49 PM Jul 25 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

all Super human movies/films has a different story and  extraordinary powers..they are very fantastic ..maybe they are far away from reality ..but no matter ))) to watch them is really very nice …

Superhumans are everywhere…when we were little kids ,they were on the books,fairtales,stories…in Today ,on movies/films..

on the other hand,there are some superheroes in our lifes..

superheroes are always with us..our beloved people…they are around us..maybe they dont have super powers..but their affection and caring are always with us .

:)))))

06:36 PM Jul 25 2014 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

today i whatched the amazing spider man 2 and its  so nice  I suggest you surly see it  a perfect film about auperhumans

06:21 PM Jul 25 2014 |

1 person likes this

bravevivian

Ecuador

I just watched the trailer and definitely I got to watch it :D

I like action movies and this one looks good.  It’s very interesting to discover you are able to do amazing things and control your environment, the point is if that was true were we able to value human lives, to control our actions and being responsible for others?

05:37 PM Jul 25 2014 |

Yemeni4u

Yemeni4u

Yemen

I would like to see that…I think I will be interesting 

11:56 AM Jul 25 2014 |

2 people like this

sara1234b

sara1234b

Hey guys !
It will be exciting.
I love to see movies about superhumans, it makes me wonder how the world might be changing in future.I dont mean to change the subject but i guess the reason why superhumans are mostly women is to make it much more interesting, my mean, when a woman does amazing things, despite the fact that public at large think she has no strengths by nature, would be worth seeing.

07:24 AM Jul 25 2014 |

manu_wj

manu_wj

Italy

It sounds like an interesting movie. I think it’s worth to watch it

06:27 AM Jul 25 2014 |

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace