Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

No Brainer
No Brainer English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English with this easy English lesson

Date: Sep 16 2014

Themes: Friend, Soap Opera, Sports, Work

Grammar: Used to Do vs Be Used to

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

If someone wants to give you $1,000,000, should you take it? Definitely. If you could press a button and begin world peace, would you do so? Of course! If you were offered the best possible job that you can think of, would you agree to take it? Yes, thank you. Each of these situations is a no brainer because you don’t have to use much of your brain to decide what to do!

No brainers are different for everyone, though. A decision might be clear to you that feels difficult or confusing for your friend. Telling someone that you think the choice she has to make is a no brainer is sometimes helpful, sometimes not. It depends on the relationship you share and the topic you’re discussing, so it’s smart to think before you speak.

Rafael thinks that Gary’s decision is a no brainer, but Gary isn’t so sure. What’s your opinion? Learn more in today’s English lesson about choices.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Rafael

Rafael

Gary

Gary

Rafael:  I’m so glad to be out of the studio, man. When you said you were heading to the park after work today, it was like joining you was a no brainer.

Gary:  I hear you. I get out of the office for work, but it’s just not the same. I used to play football all the time. I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Rafael:  Yeah. Me too, man. Hey, is everything all right? You kind of sounded strange on the phone.

Gary:  I’ve been thinking about an issue with work.

Rafael:  Jessica?

Gary:  Well, yeah.

Rafael:  Man, you can’t fire her. She just sold me her yoga studio, and this is her dream job.

Gary:  No, no. I’m not going to fire her!

Rafael:  Oh. Do you want to ask her out?

Gary:  No way. Those days are long gone.

Rafael:  So, what’s the problem?

Gary:  Since Brian went out chasing celebrities, Jessica has stepped up and done a great job for StarScoop.com. She’s really good at her job. I can’t believe how much the site has grown in the past month.

Rafael:  So, again. What’s the problem?

Gary:  I want Jessica to come on full time for StarScoop.com.

Rafael:  Dude. That sounds like a really awesome idea, man. Seems to me like hiring her permanently is a no brainer. What does Brian think?

Gary:  See, that’s the thing. Brian has barely communicated with me since he went out on assignment. He doesn’t answer the phone. He isn’t responding to email right away, if he writes back at all. He used to stay in touch, but now it…

Rafael:  So the question is not whether or not you should hire Jessica, but whether or not you should fire Brian.

Gary:  I can’t fire Brian. We own the site together. Besides, I don’t want to see Brian leave. I just need some time to think this over. I think I’m just going to sleep on it.

Rafael:  Like I said, man. I feel like the issue’s really a no brainer. But you need to do what feels right for you.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Used to Do vs Be Used to" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Gary wants to hire Jessica full time at StarScoop.com. He thinks she’s doing a great job, and he knows the website has improved because of her work. Even though they have had troubles in the past, Gary thinks that he and Jessica are in a good place now.

Unfortunately, there’s a problem. Brian, his partner in the company, is away on assignment. It’s hard for Gary to reach Brian by telephone, and Brian isn’t replying to Gary’s emails, either. Gary can’t make the decision to hire Jessica unless Brian agrees. He decides to sleep on it and think about the situation tomorrow.

Rafael thinks that Gary’s problem is a no brainer. Do you agree? Is it important for Gary to talk with Brian first, or should he go ahead and hire Jessica?

Comments

kherjharo2

Afghanistan

Please take the new English lessons for the great and sufficient terms. The effectiveness of the English language is on the rise and for quite features. The English is very important and on writing service uk the future articles of the acquisition of English.

04:30 AM Jul 30 2016 |

Eudora T Mushi

Tanzania, United Republic Of

The company belongs to both.  Its important Gary talks to Brian first and explain to him the importance of employing jessica.

04:52 AM Sep 22 2014 |

brioche

Morocco

BRAIN and GRAY  they own the site together , so they have the same aim , that is to make a profit . Then the both can decide to hire or fire peoples. so if JESSICA do a good job and the site is growing because of her as GARY said i don’t think that Brain can refuse to hire her full time . I see that GRAY shold go ahead and hire JESSICA .

09:21 PM Sep 21 2014 |

Hugoffim

Hugoffim

Colombia

Gary may send Brian Jessica’s information and details of her work. He may ask brian by email and explains him that if he does not have any complain in short notice, he will hire her.

11:09 PM Sep 16 2014 |

forugh

forugh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

consulting with Brian is a no brainer…Gary should wait…

09:30 AM Sep 16 2014 |

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

Since Brian and Gary co-own StarScoop.com , any decision relating the company should have mutual consent  , so I think it’s important for Gary to discuss the matter of hiring Jessica with Brian before making decision. That’s also the way how Gary shows respect to his partner.

07:04 AM Sep 16 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

i guess he should talk to brain first before hiring jessica full time as they both own this company. it isnt wise to take decision without having a word with your partner, nevertheless, brain wont say no.

05:34 AM Sep 16 2014 |

amy19890909

China

Yes, it is a brainer. But for partner, I think it is necessary to talk with Brian. Even though they are friends but it is respect to Brian. The company belongs to them both.

05:18 AM Sep 16 2014 |

asef

asef

Afghanistan

It was a really good lesson and i have leand many things !

04:43 AM Sep 16 2014 |

1 person likes this

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: