Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Get to the Bottom of Something
Get to the Bottom of Something English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English with this questions English lesson

Date: Dec 09 2020

Themes: Friend, Romance, Soap Opera, Work

Grammar: Relative Pronouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

One day you come home from school or work, and you find that your front door is open. At first you’re afraid that someone has broken into your house and has taken your things. But when you get inside, you see something surprising and wonderful. There are flowers and chocolate on your kitchen table, and someone has cleaned the house, too. Even though it’s a good surprise, you still want to know how it happened. You still want to get to the bottom of this situation and learn who decided to give you such a lovely gift.

To get to the bottom of something is to figure out a puzzle or a mystery. It doesn’t matter if it’s something good or something bad… it’s just something that has confused you. In every police show on television, someone is trying to get to the bottom of a crime or something that cannot be explained. It can be challenging work, but it can be fun, too. Wouldn’t you want to know who came into your house and did all of those nice things for you?

Something strange is happening at Rafael’s yoga studio, and Jessica wants to get to the bottom of it. Will she succeed? Read on to find out in today’s English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Rafael

Rafael

Jessica:  That was a great class, Rafael. You’re a wonderful yoga instructor.

Rafael:  Thanks, Jessica. I spend a lot of time preparing, and I want my classes to be both challenging and creative.

Jessica:  They definitely are. Like the Eight Angle Pose, and The Grasshopper? And parivritta surya yantransana, or whatever it’s called? I’ve never even heard of that one! Oh, someone left their water bottle.

Rafael:  Another item to add to my collection.

Jessica:  Your collection?

Rafael:  Yeah. There’s this woman who comes to my classes who is obsessed with pink.

Jessica:  Wow. She is totally obsessed with pink.

Rafael:  Pink yoga mat. She wears pink clothes. I wouldn’t be surprised if she drives a pink car.

Jessica:  So, the real question is, why is she leaving all of this pink paraphernalia at the studio?

Rafael:  I’ve been wondering the same thing myself for weeks. I’m kind of embarrassed to talk to her about it, though.

Jessica:  That’s so weird. You have to get to the bottom of this. So, what is pink girl’s name? Pamela, Patricia, Paulina…?

Rafael:  Emma.

Jessica:  Emma?

Rafael:  Yeah.

Jessica:  You like her, don’t you?

Rafael:  No, no, no. No, she’s my student. That’s totally unprofessional.

Jessica:  Oh, I don’t know. Lily’s dating Brian, and they met through work.

Rafael:  Yeah, yeah. You and Lily are close. How is that? Does Lily feel weird when Brian’s on location?

Jessica:  Oh, no you don’t. You’re just trying to change the subject. We were talking about Emma. I am totally going to get to the bottom of this.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Relative Pronouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Rafael has a student named Emma, and she seems to be obsessed with the color pink. Her clothes are pink, her yoga mat is pink, and her water bottle is pink. But what’s especially strange is that Emma keeps leaving her things at Rafael’s yoga studio. Is she really forgetting them, or is she doing it on purpose?

From the way he talks about her, Jessica believes that Rafael likes Emma. The problem is that he’s Emma’s teacher, and she’s Rafael’s student. He doesn’t think that asking Emma out would be the right thing to do, but Jessica doesn’t think it’s a big deal. In fact, it seems like Jessica wants Rafael to take action!

Will Jessica have to work hard to get to the bottom of this? Or is it obvious what Emma and Rafael are feeling? Do you work hard to get to the bottom of things?

Comments

Press1

Press1

Aruba

Paraphernalia – what a funny word. I like it. 

01:31 PM Aug 14 2018 |

Inghama

American Samoa

The current story of the soap created suspense to know about the further story and emma. People like me are crazy to pay people to write essays for concluding the end of the situation.

11:49 AM Aug 02 2016 |

YellovY

YellovY

Aruba

Definitely Jessica will try to get to the bottom of this, because she feels jealous when Rafael said that he collect Emma’s staffs and all. Rafael is trying to hide something from Jessica or actually he wanna say something up about Emma. Hemm I’m too curious about it

12:14 PM Feb 20 2015 |

jackiepamela

United States

I usually work hard to get to the botton about things which help myself, however without to snoop other people and without to be obsessed because this can be bad for our health.

09:36 AM Nov 20 2014 |

paloma233333

China

i am absolutely NOT a person who want to get to the bottom of sth. most of time.but if he/she is my very close frinends, i will keeping asking.whatever,they still can choose telling it to me or not.but i just keep asking hahaha.maybe sometime later i will shut up and find something new and funny to do and totally forget about it lol.

01:33 AM Oct 20 2014 |

pafreire

pafreire

Ecuador

Well, In many cases in my life I’ve tried to get to the bottom of something but not always I’ve succeeded, It’s not common for me to be obsessed for something.

03:08 PM Sep 26 2014 |

fcf515

fcf515

Taiwan

I don’t usually work hard to get to the bottom of things if the people I am talking with are not comfortable about the topics. I respect their privacy because I expect to be treated in the same way.

11:36 AM Sep 26 2014 |

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i’m supposed to get my bachelor of translation next year so i have to get to the bottom of how to study hard for preparing for postgarduation

04:15 PM Sep 25 2014 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

C’mmon Rafael, women know better. Follow Jessica ’ s hunch and ask Emma out. Maybe she is not as much interested in Yoga lessons ,they might also be an excuse to have you near. Yes, it is preferable to get to the bottom of things, otherwise sooner or later the truth will come out,maybe when it’s too late to straighting things out.

10:53 PM Sep 23 2014 |

Togna

Togna

Italy

I think Jessica has guessed right: Raphael seems to be embarassed about the situation and tries to change topic. Emma and Raphael, in my opinion, have fallen in love. Jessica shall go to the bottom, just to find out new rumours, not else.

06:54 PM Sep 23 2014 |

2 people like this

S&W

S&W

China

Jessica should work on this and let us know much about this mystery girl “Emma”I think Emma must be very special.It’s so obvious Rafael like to colllect Emma’s staff.We know something between Rafael and Emma through Rafael’s expression.

03:59 PM Sep 23 2014 |

shahriarheydari

Getting to the Bottom of Everything ! that’s what my kid doing during second by second a movie show time by making couple of  thousands of questions … :D

some times he really makes me crazy … you can see him , just take a look at pic 

01:22 PM Sep 23 2014 |

2 people like this

judinasve

judinasve

Russian Federation

Often it is necessary to get to the bottom of something to hold a situation under control or understand a person better

01:01 PM Sep 23 2014 |

1 person likes this

forugh

forugh

nosy people are used to getting to the bottom of everything.thats a bad habbit.but I sometimes do!!!!!!

12:50 PM Sep 23 2014 |

2 people like this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Unfortunately when somebody is in love, it’s obvious. Can’t hide it. People’re watching. You think you’re the only bearer of this nice secret. Nope. :))) Everyone knows. So, no need actually to get to the bottom of this. Are you in love? No, tell me right away, oh, my God, you’re you’re you’re. You’re blushing! I see it!;)

12:27 PM Sep 23 2014 |

asef

asef

Afghanistan

One of my best friend recently has changed his behave against me ,So i have to ge the botom of this issues whats wrong with him.

11:34 AM Sep 23 2014 |

judinasve

judinasve

Russian Federation

I wanna see Emma’s car!

And… Don’t you think that Jessica is kind of jealous?

10:27 AM Sep 23 2014 |

2 people like this

trab770

trab770

Turkey

why use they word ” paraphernalia”  in dialog.? is it used frequently (very often) in dialogs? and can you explain this sentence ;Does Lily feel weird when Brian’s on location?

08:48 AM Sep 23 2014 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I’m just tryna get to the bottom of this subject about Emma and Raphael… I have a strong feeling that they are crazy about each other.

Just show us Emma, if she’s beautiful…

How about Mason, Amanda and Greta ?

08:40 AM Sep 23 2014 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

As I’ve seen in this video, she is quite keen on going to the bottom of this subject. Due to her strong interests as well women’s features I suppose she will get more information about Emma. Meanwhile, Rafael’s first silence explains his deep filing about Emma. I believe that he tries to pretend that he does not like Emma but the truth is he likes her. As a result of this if he has no feeling to her he could talk to her at first time when Emma had been forgotten her thing in the salon bcz it sounds strange to me to see sb’s things every day and don’t ask about it. I mean it does not make sense.

Yeah, in fact, I’m right those kinds of guys who want go to the bottom of things, of course in some scientific topics. 

08:22 AM Sep 23 2014 |

Likes (16):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast