Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Boxtrolls
The Boxtrolls

Learn English in this 'The Boxtrolls' English lesson

Date: Oct 03 2014

Themes: Celebrity, Family, Pop Culture

Grammar: Imperative Form

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever seen a Mickey Mouse cartoon? Years ago, children and adults thought these cartoons were incredible. Today’s computer animated kids’ movies look even more amazing. The new film “The Boxtrolls” shows how far movies have come. It takes great skill and even more time to make a movie like this, but it’s definitely worth it.

This is the story of an orphan boy named Eggs who grew up in a community of “boxtrolls.” They live underground, beneath the streets of a town called Cheesebridge. When the boxtrolls’ world is in danger, Eggs must leave his underground home to get help. For a boy who has always lived with trolls under a city, it will definitely be an adventure!

Are Lily and Marni planning to see “The Boxtrolls?” Read their conversation in today’s English lesson about a new movie.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Lily

Lily

Marni:  Lily, have you seen a preview for the new film “The Boxtrolls?”

Lily:  Yeah, I just watched that. It looked so cute.

Marni:  It does! It just looks like such an endearing film.

Lily:  Mm-hm.

Marni:  So, the preview that I saw showed all these different permutations of “family.”

Lily:  Yeah.

Marni:  Like there could be a mom and a dad, and they go through all the family members.

Lily:  Two dads. And then your crazy uncle who only eats cheese.

Marni:  Exactly.

Lily:  That kind of thing.

Marni:  But in this film, none of them. Right? It’s about an orphan. A little boy.

Lily:  A little orphan boy.

Marni:  But then, you realize his family actually is just very unconventional, right?

Lily:  Yeah.

Marni:  They’re boxtrolls. They come in boxes.

Lily:  They’re trolls that live in boxes.

Marni:  So cute. But I do love that message about how family comes in all shapes and sizes.

Lily:  Even rectangles.

Marni:  Exactly. It’s a good message for kids to hear.

Lily:  I think so. Let’s go see it.

Marni:  Let’s do!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Imperative Form" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The preview for the kids’ movie, “The Boxtrolls,” got the attention of Lily and Marni. And it’s very sweet. The movie is about an orphan whose family is made of trolls who live in boxes. It’s definitely an unusual family, but it’s his family and he loves them.

Marni likes the message of the movie, which is that there are all sorts of families in the world. Just because a child doesn’t live with a mother and father, doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have a family. Lily agrees that all children should be taught that all kinds of families are OK, even if theirs doesn’t look the way they think it should.

Do you plan to see “The Boxtrolls”? What do you think of the idea that a boy could grow up with trolls?

Comments

Bosaed

Saudi Arabia

Hello

08:25 PM Oct 05 2014 |

aminoo2

aminoo2

Algeria

I actually like the message of the movie even if i haven’t seen it yet, but I hope it does’t include harmful scenes as most movies nowadays … I hope any movie in the world has an educating message not for passing time and having fun and  on top of that  teaching them violence to criminals and forget the best part in their lives which their study.

05:13 PM Oct 05 2014 |

2 people like this

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

I would love to watch this movie Inshallah.

09:29 AM Oct 05 2014 |

1 person likes this

S&W

S&W

China

i can’t wait to watch it.I like the conception of this movie.every seconds and minutes crazy things happened in this world.As long as people feel happy,then everything has a reason to try.

12:32 AM Oct 05 2014 |

1 person likes this

shahriarheydari

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

agree with the last line of what ROZE1997 already mentioned .

07:14 PM Oct 04 2014 |

roze1997

roze1997

yeah I will watch it as soon as possible … I am crazy about cartoons !!!

boys themselves are Trols so it would be ok !!!

I’m kidding

In my opinion its not important where we grow up , it is important how we will be when we grow up

Good Luck

ROZE

06:41 PM Oct 04 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

yeah i would like to watch this movie. 

family means taking care of each other, helping each other, fighting for them, ready to do anything to protect them. it isnt mandatory that family must be made up of father, mother and all blood realted member.

i really liked the message they are going to broadcast through this movie.

06:15 AM Oct 04 2014 |

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

Of course i do like to see if I can carve out time. I love watching animations just like a wonderfull movie. I mean in this case, it looks like it’s worth watching. 

I don’t know. Everybody has a special fate and it starts with the place where he/she is born and the family he or she belongs. Even picturing to be orphan is harmful but it is real and I think enduring this kind of things is very hard. However it does not mean that the life will show the terrible side for him/she forever. He/she has all rights which others have. No matter from which family you are. 

01:24 AM Oct 04 2014 |

mahi7

mahi7

ohhhhhhhh it looks perfect im 19 years old but most of the time i watch animations rather than movies,i think this is a good idea to see boxtroll from this aspect

family is one of the choice that we couldnt make a dission for that like our face, our birthplace  so its better to try not make fun the others about these quality

07:31 PM Oct 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I think the idea of this movie is great. Accept everyone the way he is. If those boxtrolls a family but with a heart of gold, they’re for sure will make the poor boy happy. He’s lucky to have them.

P.S. I’d like to have such a troll in my family. If will always make me laugh.

05:20 PM Oct 03 2014 |

Likes (16):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast