Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay

Learn English with this Mockingjay English lesson

Date: Dec 12 2014

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

Grammar: Present Perfect Progressive

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s finally here… the third Hunger Games movie, “Mockingjay.” In this adaptation of the book by Suzanne Collins, Katniss Everdeen bucks up against the system to get control of District 12 and fights for the people she loves.

If you liked the first two Hunger Games movies, you’ll likely enjoy this one, too. The movie trailer shows both action scenes and Katniss’ love for Peeta. But is the trailer deceiving? Will this movie do the book justice? It’s up to you to find out.

Lily definitely wants to see it, but does Brian? Find out in today’s English lesson about a popular book turned movie.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Brian

Brian

Lily

Lily

Brian:  Lily, are you excited for the next Hunger Games movie of the last book?

Lily:  Yes! Yes, I am so excited. I just saw the trailer. It’s so good.

Brian:  I watched the trailer, too. Are they breaking it into two parts?

Lily:  Yeah.

Brian:  Even though it’s just one book?

Lily:  I know. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense because the book itself is actually really slim. But it’s just more Hunger Games. I’m excited.

Brian:  It just looks like they took this book and just made it into action scenes, from the trailer.

Lily:  Yeah, but you’ve got to also think, trailers are kind of deceiving. So they take specific parts to cater to specific people. But the adaptation itself might actually be good. I’ve been hearing really good things about it.

Brian:  Do you think it’ll do the book justice?

Lily:  I hope so. I definitely think that Jennifer Lawrence is really right for the role of Katniss. She’s done a really good job with the part. And I’m looking forward to seeing how the games have scarred her. And she actually bucks up against the system in the last one.

Brian:  I don’t know if I want to see two movies that are one book. Would you think I’d be confused if I just went and saw the second one? The sequel?

Lily:  Probably pretty confused.

Brian:  All right, then. Do you think it’s going to be true to the original?

Lily:  I don’t know. I hope so. If not, I’m going to be kind of sad.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Progressive" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Lily is excited to see the new Hunger Games movie, “Mockingjay.” She has obviously read all of the books, and has been waiting for this movie to start playing in theaters. Lily believes that Jennifer Lawrence is the perfect Katniss, and she’s interested to find out how Katniss has changed and grown since the last film.

Brian is more interested in why “Mockingjay” is being made into two movies instead of just one. Neither he nor Lily understands why such a slim book would need two movies to tell its story. Still, Brian sounds like he’ll probably see it, thanks to Lily’s excitement.

Did you read The Hunger Games? Are the movies as good as the books?

Comments

Julie3

Julie3

Russian Federation

I haven’t read the books, but saw all the movies screened. Love it. Although i would have made the 3rd part shorter so that to have all in a sole part. It’s an anti utopia and i definitely like everything which bucks the system. The 3rd part depicts the real meaning – we are the part of the system and there is always someone ruling it, by force or pretending being good.

02:16 PM Dec 29 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

no i haven’t read it but would surely read it and share the experience. Thanks

11:35 AM Dec 14 2014 |

willy1908

willy1908

Peru

I’ve watched two days ago “Mockingjay” and I really enjoyed it! I highly recommend this film. Jennifer is perfect in her character. She is not the typical woman who is saved by a man, she is brave and she encourage people to fight and buck against an evil system which make them slave. I’ll read these books too! 

03:23 AM Dec 14 2014 |

kowatch

kowatch

Hungary

I haven’t read the books but I watched the first movie and I was a bit disappointed. The story has a great base but the writer wanted to write a teen drama which is not my favourite.

05:59 PM Dec 13 2014 |

AryelLanes

AryelLanes

Brazil

I’ve never really read any of the books, but I’ve watched all the movies so far. Fortunatelly, I’m just in love with all of them! Katniss carries such a strong personality! She’s kind of a mix between a warm-hearted and a really mature/strict person. I have to say though that, compared to Peeta, she’s the man! lol

I can’t wait to watch this one! :) 

01:11 PM Dec 12 2014 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: