Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

On the Edge of One's Seat
On the Edge of One's Seat English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English with this eager English lesson

Date: Dec 09 2014

Themes: Friend, Romance, Soap Opera

Grammar: Gerunds vs. Infinitives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Your favorite soccer team is playing the world’s best. There’s one minute left in the game, and no one has made a goal. Suddenly, your team gets the ball and begins running towards the other team’s goal. The time is nearly up, and if your team wins, they will go to the World Cup. You aren’t talking. You’re not even moving. You’re on the edge of your seat, waiting for something to happen!

To be on the edge of one’s seat is to be extremely excited, paying complete attention to something that’s happening. You might act this way when you think that a friend is going to tell you exciting news, or maybe when you know that something great is going to happen for your family. Or, if you’re lucky, when your soccer team is about to go to the World Cup!

First Gary’s on the edge of his seat, and then Rafael. What could be so exciting? You won’t know unless you read today’s English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Rafael

Rafael

Gary:  So, Jessica tells me that you have a crush on someone.

Rafael:  Man, what is it with our friends? They’re always gossiping all the time.

Gary:  Jessica just wants her friends to be happy. She’s something of a matchmaker.

Rafael:  OK.

Gary:  So? I’m on the edge of my seat. Who is she?

Rafael:  Her name is Emma. OK? She’s a student in one of my classes. She’s very attractive. She’s very good at yoga. But I haven’t really had a long conversation with her.

Gary:  Why not?

Rafael:  I don’t know. I just start to clam up. I become totally tongue tied.

Gary:  I totally understand. I was the same way until I met my girlfriend.

Rafael:  Wait, what? What girlfriend? You have a girlfriend?

Gary:  Yeah. I haven’t told you about her?

Rafael:  No, you have not. Nobody knows about any girlfriend. For all I know, you could just be making her up.

Gary:  I’m not making her up. She totally exists.

Rafael:  OK, well now I’m on the edge of my seat. Come on.

Gary:  OK. So, a couple months ago, I was out… This ghost thing is totally not OK.

Rafael:  Tell me about it. I was just about to get the best gossip ever!

Gary:  That’s not what I’m talking about! Don’t you think we should… do we need to be worried? Are we in danger... or anything?

Rafael:  Man, it’s just a ghost.

Gary:  Just a ghost.

Rafael:  Women are scarier.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Gerunds vs. Infinitives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Gary wants to hear all about Emma, the girl who Rafael likes. Rafael shares that he doesn’t know a lot about her because he becomes unable to speak to her when they’re together. Clearly, Emma makes Rafael nervous.

Gary understands what that feels like, because he felt the same way when he first met his girlfriend. Rafael doesn’t believe that Gary has a girlfriend, though, because Gary has never said a word about her. Unfortunately, the moment that Gary starts to talk about her, the office ghost scares them both.

Do you believe that Gary has a girlfriend? What puts you on the edge of your seat?

Comments

careerz360

careerz360

Pakistan

Find Latest <a href=”>Find Jobs In Quetta, Pakistan</a> at Careerz360. Search Online & Apply for All Jobs in Quetta across Top Companies. Submit your CV Today to Get Hired.

12:27 AM Aug 06 2018 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Maybe Gary can have a girlfriend, well… why not? right? hahaha!

When somebody says, I have good new to you, it always puts me on the edge of my seat!

12:39 AM Jul 01 2017 |

Repterdli92

Åland Islands

English can be learned by this trend and for the offered. The motives of the English acquisition for the rush essays in opened and opportunities of the right and usages of the reformed and artistic terms.

10:17 AM Sep 26 2016 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

Gary is kind of guy, who knows everything about human relationships. But despite of its skill he doesn’t seems a romantic partner. He is knowledgable, intelligent and high motivated man but I think he is boring with girls. It’s only my opinion ;)

06:18 PM May 22 2015 |

Helberth10

Brazil

I believe that Gary have a girlfriend. And something that do me stay on the edge of the seats is to listen good news. 

09:02 AM Dec 21 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

Gary probably has a girlfriend..:) I am always on the edge of my seat while waiting for results or watching cricket.

11:53 AM Dec 14 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

many years ago .. ı entered an english exam for going to USA for military  traning , ı needed only 70 score for it..ı did my best ..after exam, Commander came ,he started to read scores ..

I was on the edge of my seat..ı was too excited ..

then he read my score …...

10:33 PM Dec 09 2014 |

qq_baby

qq_babySuper Member!

Taiwan

I’m on the edge of my seat. I hope I can get a good English test result!

01:52 PM Dec 09 2014 |

2 people like this

julito

julito

Argentina

Time ago i heard from a friend  a story that kept me on the edge of my seat . Her parents live in Hong Kong  and i assume that she comes from a wealthy family . The story is that she decided to move to New York  to pursue a master degree .  First of all, after enrolling to the university she rented an apartment  to live in all by herself. It turned out that  she started to hear strange noises  during the night , upon investigation it was obvious to this girl that  she had an uninvited ghostly room mate who was living in her apartment  rent-free. She couldn`t tolerate such intrusion  on her private life and  moved out. 

12:12 PM Dec 09 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

A ghost?  OMG  

All I know is that Jessica is Gary’s ex-GF… :))

02:44 AM Dec 09 2014 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast