Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

fair share

fair share

Date: Aug 22 2019

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture, Travel

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I definitely had my fair share of struggles and interesting moments.”

Actor Daniel Henney, on what it was like to move to South Korea and learn the language (Meniscus Magazine)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

enough; plenty

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

It’s important to kids that they get their fair (or equal) share of everything. It’s not fair if Lucy gets a bigger piece of cake than Dennis. It’s not fair if Colby gets to spend more time with Dad than Leticia does. And it’s definitely not fair if one child gets more birthday presents than the other. That’s just wrong!

What’s interesting is that adults use the expression fair share to mean something a little different. If you hear a mother telling her child that he’s had his fair share of candy, she’s saying that he’s had enough. He’s had plenty of candy, he doesn’t need any more candy, and he’s not getting any more candy. Likewise, if your dinner guest tells you that he’s had his fair share of the pie, he means that he’s full. He doesn’t want any more, no matter how good it is.

Daniel Henney moved to South Korea to become an actor. He didn’t go there knowing the language, which means that he had his fair share of problems and difficulties. He often said the wrong thing, or didn’t know the right words. He made plenty of mistakes, but in the end, he was successful.

When is it important to get your fair share of something, and when is it not?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“We’ve had our fair share of snow this year. I’m ready for summer!”

“I think you’ve had your fair share of cake and ice cream.”

“Rama has definitely had her fair share of problems this year.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Manu4 Enough amount of something
by Manu4
Jasonlongo To go through certain situations.
by Jasonlongo

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

I have had my fair share of time to rethink what I did wrong and people I took offence.

09:20 AM May 29 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Thanks, Ebaby. I learned a new phrase today and I like it very much. 

My husband never does his fair share of work around the house. Why are men like this? 

05:08 AM Jan 29 2015 |

Lejla123

Lejla123

Serbia and Montenegro

I definitly catch up the meaning of this slang. The explanation is perfect.

03:12 PM Jan 28 2015 |

xin7

xin7

Chile

It was a surprise to have news from Daniel on ebaby. I fell in love the first time I saw him in a korean movie called Seducing Mr Perfect 

Anyway, it was a good lesson I didn’t know exactly what “fair share” means. Thanks English Baby!

01:16 AM Jan 20 2015 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

I’ve had my fair share of my little students who give me so much pleasure that i hardly can give them the equally bliss.  Unfortunately i’m just an adult who stopped being a child. Yet  they help me to be. :)

03:41 PM Jan 15 2015 |

imtiaz433

imtiaz433

Pakistan

and it becomes IMPORTANT to get FAIR SHARE of love and care when someone is in mutual Relationship.. :) :)

01:32 PM Jan 15 2015 |

imtiaz433

imtiaz433

Pakistan

well it is important for everybody to get FAIR SHARE of equal RIGHTS living in a society. becuase this is how a society becomes Civilized and this is how a society prosper better than others.. everybody should be treated equal wihtout any discrimination of anything.. 

01:23 PM Jan 15 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

In my life i have had my fair share of  success and failures .Although i was dissappointed when things or relationships went wrong , now  looking back in perspective those  failures were in my life   necessary  stepping stones to greater achievements.   I have come out  of  failures with a strong determination to  find  the right  means  to stay out of dificculties . 

11:29 AM Jan 15 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

I have no siblings ,So there is no “fair share” problem for my parents.Only did they do is give me the whole cake.hehe

11:29 AM Jan 15 2015 |

ayek

ayek

Myanmar

I think I had my fair share of experiencing of works last year.

07:05 AM Jan 15 2015 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Everyone deserves to have a fair share of his life!

06:14 AM Jan 15 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I believe I will never have my fair share of Eenglish,Baby’s lessons :)

05:51 AM Jan 15 2015 |

Julie3

Julie3

Russian Federation

when we use “fare share” in regards of sharing between the siblings, kids and parents, it has a positive meaning. But as soon as it concerns the life of grown ups…it gets another shadow…struggling, fighting, doing hard work or experiencing smth not too much lovely. There is a conculsion: to be a kid is much better and happier :)))

I used to have my fair share with all my brothers – candies, gifts, attention and I am thankful to my mom for this :)

02:09 AM Jan 15 2015 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast