Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

take a stand

take a stand

Date: Aug 29 2019

Themes: Celebrity, Friend, Music, Pop Culture, School

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“When I was in school, I had a best friend who became a bully. I took a stand and… separated from her. It wasn’t the type of person I wanted to be.”

Actress, singer, and winner of Dancing with the Stars Amber Riley, on how people should treat each other (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

have a strong opinion about something and not change it

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Picture yourself in a room full of people. You have just told them your story about working with poor families in need who go hungry every day. You ask, “Who is willing to help?” But the room is totally quiet.

Finally, one man stands up. Then another. Then two women and a teenager stand. Then there are ten people standing, and the number keeps getting bigger. Your heart is full of joy. You have always taken a stand for families who need your help. Today you have found others who will take a stand with you.

When you take a stand for something, you develop an opinion and are often willing to fight for your beliefs. It’s not necessary to actually stand up to show that you’re taking a stand, though. There are many ways to show your support. You can tell your friends and family, give money to an organization, write emails, or make calls. You can also take a stand for something without anyone knowing it. It’s your choice to share or not share your beliefs.

When actress and singer Amber Riley was in high school, a friend started to be unkind to other people. Amber didn’t like what was happening, so she took a stand and chose not to be friends anymore. It was important to Amber that she not spend time with someone who wasn’t respectful to everyone.

What’s important enough to take a stand for?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Politicians have to take a stand on important topics.”

“Cynthia is taking a stand with her parents and moving in with her boyfriend.”

“You should always take a stand on what you believe in.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

take a stand means do something in opposition of someone
by rester1234
I think it means deep thinking to make a dision for what you want
by nehalmohfouz
Alamin729 decide on something
by Alamin729
a2020 Took a decision and showed her idea.
by a2020
i made it clear to my friendly expressing my view on bullies that I didn't agree with her behaviour.
by freddyvanpuyenbroeck

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

There is a thin measure between taking a stand for something and being attentive to opinions of other people.

10:36 AM May 29 2015 |

1 person likes this

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Thank you Julie, you are so talented :) Never mind Julito :)

07:27 AM Jan 23 2015 |

1 person likes this

studentship

I don’t know why i can’t take a stand for myself and i just keep a smile but breakin inside..!!!

when someone hurts me i refuse!! it is too bad!!

wish there was a way to rid the world from all the bully people..

10:38 PM Jan 22 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

• @Julie,  Thanks a lot. yes, that is what a meant , i culdn`t explain myself to one of the members because i had to leave in a hurry to attend a scheduled meeting. 

• @Gordafarid sorry !!

10:21 PM Jan 22 2015 |

1 person likes this

pierremirandSuper Member!

Haiti

I believe in Jesus and I should always take a stand on my savior. Love you Jesus!

05:26 PM Jan 22 2015 |

Julie3

Julie3

Russian Federation

I got from julito that he admires ppl who stand for their beliefs, fair decisions, ideas despite the consequences which may arise. Because usually the majority doesn’t understand and support such rebellious things which are against the main stream. 

To prove our fairness and commitment to good deeds we must endure,  fight and take a stand. But to my mind it must be vice versa… Good things ought to happen more often and with no efforts. 

But i didn’t get the statement about thecountries…Probably taking into account the current political situation some countries take a stand for their views too…as i guess :-) 

01:03 PM Jan 22 2015 |

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

wow!! what a modest man!!  :) okay everybody!! please someone explain it for me :)

12:12 PM Jan 22 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

Gordafarid,

ask it to Julito :)) 

ım sure he will explain better than me :) 

coz ı have very poor english …also you can ask it English teachers here (Buttafly)and knowing english very well,super..( Lesya,Ola,Scienceboy,Albasel,Mahtab,Julie,...)

12:03 PM Jan 22 2015 |

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

I think it’s my problem that I can’t get the meaning of  what Julito wrote. Seiyf-Khawas, would  you please explain it for me ?

11:57 AM Jan 22 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

ı wonder ,where is Julito today ? why he is late ? 

:))

11:48 AM Jan 22 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I admire people that even   knowing that  by taking   stand for  a noble cause, whereas is about social, gender and political issues , and by doing so  they know  that the given opinion ultimately might backfire against them , as  for many  it is not easy  to accept  that  countries in order to progress  have to move with the times . 

11:37 AM Jan 22 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

“There will come a time when you’ll need to take a stand for the changes you want.”

”  Many politicians fail to take a stand on equal rights for women “

11:13 AM Jan 22 2015 |

albasel1975

Germany

Here are the values that I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values.

Sometimes, in order to follow our moral compass and/or our hearts, we have to make unpopular decisions or stand up for what we believe in. It can be difficult and even frightening to go against the grain, whether it’s a personal disagreement with a friend, partner, or family member or a professional decision that affects coworkers and colleagues.

buttafly

buttafly

Germany

Whatever you are passionate about, give it your wholehearted support!

Find a moment in every single day to take a stand for something you strongly believe in!

With a whisper : (English could be just one of those things ;)

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

It is important enough to take a stand for the peace all over the world! People want the peaceful blue sky above their heads. 

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

what’s important enough to take a stand for? it’s a simple question and has a simple answer, though: whatever involves the values and beliefs is important to take a stand for.

04:24 AM Jan 22 2015 |

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

“stand by someone or something” has different meaning I think. it indicates that you have been with someone, and still you want to stay with him and continue supporting him, even when it may cause  some problems!!

I’ll stand by you no matter what.

04:19 AM Jan 22 2015 |

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

Actually I think both are the same; but “take stand on something” shows a little more strong power to adopt a firm position, whether you want to support the opinion or you are against it. So I think the difference in “take a stand for/on something” is like the difference between “make a decision about /on something”. Talking about political issues or beliefs, is always different and supposed to be more serious than other subjects, so we use “on” to discourse on these matters.

04:02 AM Jan 22 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Good question xin. There’s also the words from the famous lyrics are stuck in my hand – I’ll stand by you. Is it the same too?

02:03 AM Jan 22 2015 |

xin7

xin7

Chile

Hi guys!

I have a doubt, what’s the difference between “take a stand on” and ” take a stand for”?

In this lesson both structures were used.

If someone could help me I’d be very grateful. 

01:50 AM Jan 22 2015 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast