Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Kevin Durant
Kevin Durant

Learn English in this Kevin Durant English lesson

Date: Feb 20 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Sports

Grammar: Definite & Indefinite Articles

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the world of the NBA, it takes a lot of talent to be at the top. Kevin Durant is one of the best players in the league, and he’s worked very hard to get there. Recently, in the documentary, “The Offseason,” fans got to see how hard he works even when the basketball season is over.

Kevin Durant has been playing the sport since he was a child and it was his dream to be in the NBA. He came from a disadvantaged background, but through his hard work and talent, he’s been able to find great success in basketball.

Marni tells Gary about Kevin Durant and why she likes him. Find out more in today’s English lesson about a basketball star.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Marni

Marni

Gary:  I heard a name today, and I don’t know who he is. It seems like you’d know who he is.

Marni:  OK.

Gary:  Kevin Durant.

Marni:  Kevin Durant! Of course!

Gary:  OK. You do know who he is.

Marni:  He was the MVP last year. He’s an awesome basketball player.

Gary:  I imagine he’s at the gym every day working out, then.

Marni:  Probably. I think they all do. Yes, he’s pretty awesome. He was MVP and plays for Oklahoma City. LeBron James gets a lot of publicity and stuff, but Kevin Durant seems a lot more even-keeled and down to earth.

Gary:  I imagine he’s got a lot of respect for the game.

Marni:  He’s a really good athlete. He’s fun to watch.

Gary:  He had a big dream. And he made his way all the way up to the NBA. Wow. I didn’t know that you knew him that well.

Marni:  I’m excited to go see his documentary. I know you love documentaries. You want to go with me? You’ll learn all about him.

Gary:  Let’s do it!

Marni:  Alright.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Definite & Indefinite Articles" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is a big basketball fan and really likes Kevin Durant. She tells Gary about how he plays with the Oklahoma City Thunder and was voted as the MVP last year. Even though Kevin Durant is one of the most famous basketball players, he seems very even-keeled.

Gary doesn’t know anything about Kevin Durant. He’s interested in seeing the recent documentary about him, “The Offseason.” The documentary looks into how he works out after the basketball season is over.

Are you a basketball fan? Do you think Kevin Durant is one of the greatest players?

Comments

dearishtaq

India

I don’t know much about basketball. I don’t even follow the game either. But I always like sports person who is good at his game and even I admire more if he comes from very humble background like Kevin Durant.

12:03 PM Feb 22 2015 |

iftikhar659668

Pakistan

well,i m athlete and sportsmen mostly i m playing volleyball and cricket. when i was in university i used to play basketball at university court. however, i don’t know the rules of this game but enjoying and excited when i throw the ball into basket and i feel pretty awsome.

beside, basketball players there are many other games people have different ideal players to whom they enjoy to watched them and follow their styles, most commonly football fans follwed hair styles of their MVP and this habbit is found around the globe.

10:46 AM Feb 22 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I’m a hockey fan, but I can say that basketball is gaining huge popularity in Canada. The reason is Raptors has never played so good in history. Almost everyone has switched their attention from loosers MapleLeafs to Raptors. Well, not me, I’m still into hockey and can’t wait to know whose Stanley Cup will be this year. But, I can see now how professionalism is alluring. Every one want to watch the good players like Kevin Durante.

12:16 AM Feb 21 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

S & W , 

thanks for nice comment, but ı forgat to write something, 

I watched him on TV , not in basketball court, in real, 

also ı would wish it ..))

04:04 PM Feb 20 2015 |

1 person likes this

S&W

S&W

China

@Seiyf how i wish i were like you to see him playing in person.There is no doubt his age was coming!!!!Thank you for sharing the photo.

01:36 PM Feb 20 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

12 September 2010, Turkey…

ı saw Kevin Durant’ s real performance in 2010 Men’s FIBA World Championship match first time..our national basketball team Turkey was going to play with USA in the final match..and K.Durant made us fascinated with his unbelievable Three- point shots ..really I felt, a new master basketball player was coming,like Michael Jordan,Lebron James..

Durant receives a gold medal at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

01:24 PM Feb 20 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I haven’t heard about him before. I searched on YouTube and watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIFiWKFSsh0

He is really talented.

01:03 PM Feb 20 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I am not a basketball fan either. 

I do agree with Shoba, I respect Kevin Durant’s modesty. 

12:49 PM Feb 20 2015 |

2 people like this

S&W

S&W

China

I  was a basketball fan as a middle school student,I had practiced shooting for losing weight.All the athletes who played at NBA were excellent.Kevin Durant ,Good job to stand out and become a shining star.

12:26 PM Feb 20 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I guess that on the scale of popularity among EB’s members,Mr.Durant will be at the bottom of the chart. it’s not his fault ,most of us come from countries where basketball is not a game that runs as popular as other sports. Nonetheless, i take my hat off to this brilliant personage.

09:49 AM Feb 20 2015 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Like shoba I’m not fan of basketball,and I don’t know Kevin,my favorite sports are ping pong and badminton and like to watch football

08:36 AM Feb 20 2015 |

sara5785

sara5785

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I’m a fan of volleyball

07:43 AM Feb 20 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

No, I’m not a fan of basketball and this is the first time I’m hearing about Kevin Durant. Generally, most of the people here are lovers of cricket. 

However, it was interesting to read about him and learn some new vocab as well. The fact that despite being at the top Kevin Durant being an even-keeled and down to earth person attracts me most.

In today’s world, seeing someone who doesn’t let success go to his/her head is very rare. 

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast