Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

on top of the world

on top of the world

Date: May 14 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I feel like I’m on top of the world. Honestly, I feel like I’ve climbed a very giant mountain, and I’m just standing right on top with my arms wide open and breathing fresh air.”

Singer Shania Twain, talking about returning to the music industry (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

in a very good mood; feeling very happy

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

What is the best feeling in the world? Winning an important game? Completing a big goal? Some people just like jumping into a warm bed on a cold day. Other people like the feeling they get from exercise. No matter what it is, when we feel our best, we are on top of the world.

To be on top of the world is to feel like life couldn’t be any better. This feeling often comes after doing something important. For example, it’s common for singers to be on top of the world after performing for a big crowd. Also, students graduating from university often feel on top of the world after finishing classes.

Singer Shania Twain stopped making music for a while, so she felt on top of the world once she started up again. She thinks that when people do what they love to do, it is the best feeling in the world.

What makes you feel on top of the world?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I felt like I was on top of the world when she agreed to marry me.”

“After Linda won the race, she felt like she was on top of the world for a whole week.”

“You got a new job? You must be on top of the world!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Dizelman Ecstatic, happy and elated
by DizelmanSuper Member!
aijaciba Extremely happy.
by aijaciba
Sergijko Priceless feeling of happyness after some expectations or efforts
by Sergijko
a2020 At the best situation.
by a2020
Manu4 Reaching a high success
by Manu4

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

S&W

S&W

China

@julito i like your story,i would like to have a friend who can do the same thing to me as your friends

11:38 PM May 16 2015 |

mahsa17

mahsa17

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

last month ago i was on top of the world when i undestood i could go to a collage in my favorite major

06:28 PM May 16 2015 |

Djana

Djana

Algeria

I’ll feel on top of the world when i achieve all my dreams and do what i ever wanted.

12:56 PM May 15 2015 |

maher20000

maher20000Super Member!

Canada

Good luck in your exams Princes. Stay relaxed.

08:52 PM May 14 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Next week my final exams begin, I’m already feeling deep down in the dumps from now, but once I finish exams, I’ll be on top of the world :))

08:36 PM May 14 2015 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Great memory Julito!

If the same situation happens to you , would you feel the same?! :)

Few months ago I had a great chance to travel alone to a foreign country!

It was amazing and unique experience to me!

Of course I met my friend there but I was alone most of the time!

Not only I was on top of the world in my wonderful travel but also I was on cloud nine all the time!!! :))

06:31 PM May 14 2015 |

weijunhuang

China

very useful ! Thank you.

04:31 PM May 14 2015 |

1 person likes this

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Dear kotlesya ,  in my country  jokingly when a young girl is dating a man that could be his father or much older than her , we say ” billetera mata galan”  it translates in english as ” wallet kills a hunk…....   jejejejeje

04:23 PM May 14 2015 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Julito, very often money and power make any man quickly  attractive in the eyes of women. :D

It is a cruel true of life. Your story is excellent!! I enjoyed it. Bravo !

:-)))

04:16 PM May 14 2015 |

nasrin jojo

ohhh…great topic…I think most people has the best thins which enjoy doing it or they memories the old one ..I  was on top of the world when my darling neice has born about one years ago..i really love her and she is so qute.

03:29 PM May 14 2015 |

2 people like this

julito1

julito1

Argentina

This topic brings back memories of a time when i felt that I was on top of the world. It was 1979 ,at that time for a short visit i was  in los Angeles , it was then that I was introduced to a guy  who was wearing a turban and from  Sikh  nationality .He told me that he owned  an auto body shop and if i would like to have a look at the cars. I agreed so  he drove me up  to his business .To my surprise his clients were millonaires who own Mercedes Benz, Lamborghines , Ferraris and Rolls Royce . He invited me to   pick one of them and  he would drive me around Hollywood. I chose a Rolls Royce and i sat  in the back seat like a “big shot” and his chauffeur. Ohh, the power of money , i was the center of attention , some girls that were driving by, shouting at me, Baby, Baby !!Should they had known that i could only treat them with a pizza. hahahahahah

Talia Do

Talia Do

Viet Nam

I am teaching English to a small group of students. And one day, when one of my students phoned me to notify me that she got the best result in a test that included many students from different English centres. Her news made me feel on top of the world. (It even made my hair stand on end ^^)

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Cycling in the early mornings makes me feel free, bouncy and on top of the world. 

I’m going to try Asef’s idea tonight and see if getting blindly drunk would make me feel on top of the world too. LOL!

08:35 AM May 14 2015 |

asef

asef

Afghanistan

Guys ! We can also use this topic for those people who are completly drunk !

Drunk people always ! on the top of the world .heheheheheh

Naveen Singh Shahi

India

In my opinion when parents see their baby standing and trying to call them Mama… Daddy… that time they are on the top of the world.

Maybe whenever a boy or a girl felt in love that time he/she is on top of the world.

According to a teacher when she/he teachs the principle of the life I’m sure he/she feels on the top of the world  

I like to learn new things whenever I learn something from someone and when I complete my officer work and my book new chapter that time I feel on the top of the world. 

FAYAZSHAH12

Pakistan

Whenever i saw my students, following me perfectly, i feel i am on the top of the world…

04:38 AM May 14 2015 |

maher20000

maher20000Super Member!

Canada

When I help somebody to cope with stress or worries and see him or her happy, I feel like I’m on top of the world.

asef

asef

Afghanistan

Whenever i see my Mom’s laughing, I feel like i am on the top of the world !

s11211s

s11211s

When I finish a work that is important to me, like graduating from university, repeiring something, making something, helping the other people or designing something I feel like I am on top of the world.

life is realy interesting when we feel like we are on top of the world.

Be on top of the world for all of your life!

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

I think that each woman feels herself on  top of the world right after she gave birth to her child!!!  Yes!!!  It is incredible feeling to experience ! The feeling of giving new life for your child worth everything. 

Each time I feel myself on the top of the world when I know that I will be in Thai soon. Travelling to the country -paradise adds a sense to my life. 

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast