Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Smoking
Smoking

Learn English meaning of smoking

Date: Jul 23 2019

Themes: Alternative, Health, Tech

Grammar: You're vs. Your

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There are 7 billion people in the world, and more than 1 billion of them smoke. But many of them are starting to look into alternatives so that they can quit smoking. This is probably because smoking cigarettes can be very harmful.

Many people are now using e-cigarettes or vaping because they think these things are the wave of the future. The world is changing, and even though so many people still smoke, there will likely be a decline in cigarette smokers in the future.

Sara and Gary are talking about Sara’s friend who just quit smoking. Find out more in today’s lesson about cigarettes.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Sara_R

Sara_R

Gary

Gary

Sara_R:  Gary.

Gary:  Yeah?

Sara_R:  I’m so excited. My friend Josh just quit smoking.

Gary:  Good for him! That is the wave of the future, for sure.

Sara_R:  You think?

Gary:  Absolutely!

Sara_R:  The cost was just too much, and also it was really harmful. And he just needed to quit.

Gary:  Did he see a decline in his health?

Sara_R:  Yeah, he did. He saw a decline in his health. It was getting harder to breathe. He tried the alternatives, like vaping and e-cigarettes, but they weren’t doing it for him.

Gary:  I do wonder if that’s going to be the true alternative of the future. Because e-cigarettes are so popular among people who are trying to quit cigarettes.

Sara_R:  That’s true.

Gary:  And I don’t know the cost of how much it is to go buy something and just have your little canister and walk around and vape anywhere.

Sara_R:  Right. Does it cost more to vape, or does it cost more to buy cigarettes?

Gary:  I don’t know. But I think we should look into this.

Sara_R:  Let’s do it.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "You're vs. Your" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Sara is excited because her friend has just quit smoking. She says that it started to cost too much for her friend, and that he saw a decline in his health. She wonders if vaping or smoking cigarettes is more expensive.

Gary thinks it will become common for people to stop smoking. He wonders, though, if smoking e-cigarettes and vaping will become more popular than smoking regular cigarettes. He plans on learning more about it with Sara.

Do you ever smoke or vape? Why or why not?

Comments

nura7

Azerbaijan

Helloo.how are you

07:36 PM Jul 31 2015 |

scheylla

scheyllaSuper Member!

Brazil

I’ve never smoked cigarettes  before and also never heard about vaping, sorry my ignorance. As in my family no one has the habit of smoking cigarettes might be one of the reasons I was not really into cigarettes. Actually I hate the smell of cigarettes.

04:16 AM Jul 24 2015 |

1 person likes this

Djana

Djana

Algeria

I hate smoking..but i’ve to admit that somtimes i kind of like it’s smell,it’s strange!!
My father used to smoke,since he was a young man,maybe a teen,but thank God,he’d quit,since a year or two,and that had really a bad influence on him,since he quit smiking,he’s just getting nervous quickly,psychological problems…it was hard for him to stop doing that,but finally he did it,i’m happy for that.

06:24 PM Jul 21 2015 |

mandzhi

mandzhi

Russian Federation

The first time i smoked was in my 20. I just wanted to try, but i didn’t like it, so i quit smoking. But i used to smoke shisha a lot. As for me shisha with fruit tobacco is more pleasant for smoking. Now i don’t smoke anymore, i know that it’s very harmful for your health. So i chose sport instead smoking

09:10 AM Jul 19 2015 |

mohamma

mohamma

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i dont smoking smoke.

it is harmful

and in islam said:

dont use things,if thats harmful yourself.

06:57 AM Jul 16 2015 |

2 people like this

arraj

arraj

Bangladesh

Smoking damgad our human life. it is not good any activities because it always loss our money and reputation others activities. please avoid the smoke and save ihe world. 

02:47 AM Jul 16 2015 |

1 person likes this

arraj

arraj

Bangladesh

Smoking damgad our human life. it is not good any activities because it always loss our money and reputation others activities. please avoid the smoke and save ihe world. 

arraj

arraj

Bangladesh

2 people like this

qazal24iran

I’m smoker and Marlboro gold with white box is my favorite sigaret

06:25 PM Jul 15 2015 |

1 person likes this

Max_NL

Max_NL

Netherlands

I am 27 and never smoked in my life, and i will never do it, i know, we should never say never, but i say never about this) i am not going to pay to make my health worse )))

05:23 PM Jul 15 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I also do hate smoking, it has a negative impact not only on the smoker himself, but also all the people around. 

I don’t see vaping as a way out of it, it seems as terrible as ordinary cigarettes as it still involves inhaling smoke!

Smoking here starts with teenagers as a way to show off their maturity and especially to get girls’ attention! But it ends them up being bad smokers that can’t quit and it hastens them past the grave.

04:26 PM Jul 15 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I hate smooking. I don’t smoke, no way. But I am a vicitim of second hand smoking. Unfortunately all of my close friends were smoker and I had to choose between hanging out with them while passively smoking and not hanging out with them for my healht. I sometimes hang out with them but it was a torture, I couldn’t breath among them. Thank God I made some new non-smoker friends. I do missmy smoker friends but I cannot hang out with them so often. They used to judge me but a smoker cannot understand how disturbing it is for a non-smoker.

01:52 PM Jul 15 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

I haven’t had that kind of experience, I don’t think smoking or vapeing have any benefit for me, except harm!

I can’t find any good side in smoking, most people has own problem in life including economic problems or health problems or any other kind of problem.

Why should we increase our problems by smoking!?

12:18 PM Jul 15 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

I must come clean , i do smoke , strange creatures we are , we know  that smoking is harmful to our health , no only that , second hand smoking is also a real health hazard for nonsmokers who are in close contact with chain smokers. i don´t believe in E-cigarettes , i think that the people that are marketing this product to desperate smokers ,  literally are selling “smoke” ,and by that i mean , is totally ineffective and expensive. Smoking in the US is a  luxury, depending on each State, it could cost a box of Marlboro a “mere” 7  or 8 dollars. Still want to smoke ?, no way . While in America i suffer of “abstinence ” and after a week or so i dont`t feel the necessity to burn 8 dollars a day.. jejejejeje

freeeilyn

freeeilyn

Poland

I don’t think smoking is good for ur health but despite this I smoke sometimes, especially during parties :) I don’t think the e-cigarettes are better than the usual cigarettes, I think it’s even worse, because it thas nicotine too and we can smoke it anywhere, anytime. :)

09:37 AM Jul 15 2015 |

shiva1052

shiva1052

No , I have ñever smoked because smoking is just destroy my life and hurt to me.

09:22 AM Jul 15 2015 |

NavidArash

NavidArash

When I was a teenager and studied in high school I got some dudes to hang out with. They all were into smoking.

Generally for most of teenagers that time, smoking cigarettes was considered as a brave and prestigious action and it would make them sound more of an adult. What a silly way to show that you are no longer a child. I think that I was lucky out there that it all ended up to a few tries and I never turned into a chain smoker.

But I got a feeling that these days having a cutting edge cellphone or tablet and having a phone conversation in public or playing with its gadgets might seems prestigious and do the trick as smoking did in the past decades for teenagers as a way to show themselves off. And smoking isnt the one and only way to go for such a purpose.  

I am no longer in touch with any of my high school friends anymore but I suppose that now smoking isn’t that interesting for them and in fact they might be desperate to looking for a way out, at least I hope they haven’t turned to junkies.

And about vaping, I don’t see it as a holy grail or a magic wand that you would wave it and everything would gonna change over a night and you would quit the longtime habit of smoking, it could help but there is no alternative rather than the willpower in this case.

08:22 AM Jul 15 2015 |

Diamir

Germany

I have not smoked as long as I live .I have made much sport thatsway I have never smoked . Smoking isn’t good for the contition and smoking isn’t healthy.

06:11 AM Jul 15 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

No, I have never smoked and never will. Women don’t smoke or drink alchohol in our country. And this is the first time I’m hearing about vape and e-cigarettes. 

I have an uncle who smokes like a chimney. We have tried to talk him out of this habit, but he says it is not easy to quit after smoking for so long.

By the way, cigarettes are referred to as cancer sticks and coffin nails too. It is clear from these terms how harmful they are to our health. 

Ach_turq

Ach_turq

Tunisia

A very interesting topic, I want to say that people who smoke don’t give a sh*t about their bodies, lately someone important in my life got lung cancer, well guess what, he’s a smoker, he wouldn’t stop no matter what ! I don’t understand these people, just for no persistent reason they’re ready to kill themselves and make people around them suffering, my grandpa died because of lung cancer, he’s a smoker too…Really guys, you got just one life, don’t screw it up. 

I’m not a smoker, I never used drugs and I wont. 

12:25 AM Jul 15 2015 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast