Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Bermuda Triangle
The Bermuda Triangle

Learn English meaning of 'The Bermuda Triangle'

Date: Dec 12 2016

Themes: News, Travel

Grammar: Conditionals with "Unless"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Do you like creepy places? One famous creepy place is the Bermuda Triangle. This is the name of a large area in the Atlantic Ocean between Florida, Haiti, and Puerto Rico. Ships and planes are disappearing in this area. Vessels go into the Bermuda Triangle, and they never show up again. This started happening a long time ago. People have many different theories about why it happens.

Some people say that aliens are making things disappear in this area. Other people believe there’s a portal to another dimension here. Not everyone thinks that there’s a sci-fi reason. After all, it could be the result of something simple, like bad storms or big waves. But until everyone can agree on what’s happening in the Bermuda Triangle, it’s likely that the rumors about this place will continue.

The Bermuda Triangle is one of Andy’s favorite topics. Listen to this English lesson to hear what he thinks about all the rumors.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Andy_H

Andy_H

Gary:  Andy.

Andy_H:  Yeah, Gary?

Gary:   I was reading about this really incredible thing…

Andy_H:  What’s up?

Gary:  ... called the Bermuda Triangle.

Andy_H:  That is one of my favorite topics.

Gary:  Seriously?

Andy_H:  I love the Bermuda Triangle. It’s so creepy.

Gary:  The rumors about all the ships and airplanes and people disappearing, though, that’s terrifying.

Andy_H:  And it’s hardly even rumors. I mean, there are almost a thousand vessels that have not come back.

Gary:  Wait. Hardly rumors? This is real?

Andy_H:  There are at least a thousand documented stories. The Bermuda Triangle is a triangle that is made from the lines between Bermuda, Haiti, don’t quote me on Haiti, and Florida.

Gary:  And ships just get lost at sea?

Andy_H:  They never show up.

Gary:  This freaks me out.

Andy_H:  I would not travel over the Bermuda Triangle unless you maybe want to reach aliens.

Gary:  I’m a big sci-fi fan and all I can think to myself is, there’s some sort of inter-dimensional portal where people are going through and coming out somewhere else.

Andy_H:  There are a ton of theories. All I’m saying is I ain’t going anywhere near the Bermuda Triangle. You couldn’t pay me enough.

Gary:  Yeah, I’m walking the opposite direction. Whoa!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Conditionals with "Unless"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Both Gary and Andy know the rumors about the Bermuda Triangle. In fact, it’s one of Andy’s favorite things to talk about. He tells Gary about all the disappearing vessels and how these stories were documented by many people in the past. Andy is not exactly sure where the Bermuda Triangle is, but he knows that he definitely doesn’t want to travel there.

Gary did some reading about the Bermuda Triangle and it scared him. He thinks it’s a very creepy place. Where do all the vessels go? Why don’t they show up again? Gary likes sci-fi, so he likes the theories of aliens or a strange portal that goes to another world. It’s OK for him to read about the Bermuda Triangle, but like Andy, he will never go there because he’s also afraid of disappearing!

Do you live near a creepy place? What kind of rumors do you hear about this place?

Comments

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

The topic is fascinating for me. I have always felt our ocean is big mystery. much more mystery than space. It’s right here besides us but we can’t get to it. It either crushes us at the bottom of Mirianas Trench, or just send us only God knows where like Bermuda ‘friendly’ triangle. This mystery got to be solved for once and for all. Let’s do it! :)

05:41 PM Dec 14 2016 |

1 person likes this

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

this topic was very famous in my youth ..we were discussing it with friends..ı never believed that Aliens or Monsters did it ..many people were thinking ,there are unseen and unknown hands there..ı was believing ,its reason was Nature..strong magnetic field in this triangle..hence,planes and ships were losing there..but it was interesting that there was no any print from these lost planes and ships for years after accidents.. 

12:43 PM Dec 12 2016 |

abdullah201933

Saudi Arabia

hmm interest topic i like it

hmm actually i dont live near to the creepy place i am luckly hhh

however i heard about the bermuda triangle for long time ago till now

as Gary & Andy said we believed before

honestly there are a researchers found the main reason of the bermuda triangle

its physically case

etc..

07:06 AM Dec 12 2016 |

Likes (5):