Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Migraines
Migraines

Learn English meaning of ‘migraines’

Date: Sep 18 2017

Themes: Health

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Migraines are the worst. These really bad headaches are usually extremely painful and exhausting. They can bring your life to a screeching halt. Migraines can make people nauseous, confused, and dizzy. Doctors don’t know exactly what causes them, but one trigger might be certain foods. Stress and alcohol might also be exacerbating the problem for people who suffer from migraines.

Some things that ease migraine pain include daily exercise and a scalp massage. Even if you don’t have a migraine, a scalp massage can feel pretty nice. Using an essential oil, like lavender or rosemary, can help relieve migraine pain as well. Essential oils like rose and chamomile can ease stress, which might prevent the migraine from starting in the first place.

Dominique suffers from very bad migraines. She has some medicine that was prescribed by her doctor, but she doesn’t want to take it. Listen as she asks Jordin for some advice.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dominique

Dominique

Jordin

Jordin

Dominique:  Jordan! Oh, my gosh. I’ve been getting the worst migraines ever. I went and saw my doctor. They prescribed me something crazy that I couldn’t even pronounce. And I’m like, “I don’t want to take that.” So, what do you think I should do?

Jordin:  Oh, I don’t know. I’ve never had a migraine. But I have a coworker who I know gets them really bad. Or, she used to, anyway. And she figured out that she had some trigger foods that were really exacerbating the problem. And so she cut out, like, gluten and dairy, and I think some other things from her diet. And now she really doesn’t get them anymore.

Dominique:  You’ve never had a migraine? That’s ridiculous. I’m jealous.

Jordin:  I know. I’m sorry.

Dominique:  I think I might try some essential oil.

Jordin:  Oh, yeah!

Dominique:  I heard that, like, lavender and lemongrass works.

Jordin:  Yeah, that would be awesome. I love essential oils.

Dominique:  Me, too. Maybe get like a massage on my scalp.

Jordin:  Yeah.

Dominique:  Sometimes I just want to, like, stab my forehead.

Jordin:  Yeah.

Dominique:  It’s really painful.

Jordin:  Yeah. Doesn’t it also make you nauseous, too?

Dominique:  A little bit. A little bit.

Jordin:  Well, I mean, at least you look nice.

Dominique:  Thank you.

Jordin:  Sorry you feel terrible.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dominique has been getting the worst migraine headaches. Her doctor prescribed some medicine for her, but she doesn’t want to take it. She asks Jordin for some advice. Jordin has never had a migraine, but she says her coworker used to get migraines that were triggered by certain foods.

Dominique thinks she might try some essential oil or a scalp massage to relieve her migraines. Sometimes, her migraines are so bad that she wants to stab her forehead. Jordin tells Dominique that she’s sorry she feels so terrible, but at least she looks nice.

Do you get headaches? What do you do to relieve the pain?

Comments

lapiz

United States

Is there a difference in the meaning of migraine and that of headache? am to write an essay on medicine and not sure whether i can use headache as a synonym for migraine. my friend said i can ask at this website but thought i d ask here first

10:46 AM Oct 09 2017 |

nadaghazaly

Egypt

I usually get headaches when I didn’t eat well at the breakfast so I feel tired all the day and then I get migraines , and other times when I feel anxious or worry about something I feel nauseous and I would not be able to eat anything all the day 

09:53 PM Sep 18 2017 |

nadaghazaly

Egypt

I usually get headaches when I didn’t eat well at the breakfast so I feel tired all the day and then I get migraines , and other times when I feel anxious or worry about something I feel nauseous and I would not be able to eat anything all the day 

09:53 PM Sep 18 2017 |

1 person likes this

mojtaba

mojtaba

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

oh really.this  lessen is for me

i get a bad headache two or three times at a month and when i get i have to use strong pain killer. but thanks to god now im better and maybe once at a month

06:22 PM Sep 18 2017 |

thiagokami

thiagokami

Brazil

Good morning, people. 

I usually don’t get headaches, and I have never had a migraine. When I have a headache,  I take a pill and it makes me feel better after thirty minutes. I try to rest a little bit when it happens and that helps me to continue my day.

12:11 PM Sep 18 2017 |

Zahra12

Zahra12

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Ive never get headaches 

09:21 AM Sep 18 2017 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

I had some pontual headaches in the past, but it was rare. Migraines come always following another disturb, like stomaches. When I have this symptoms I cut some ingredients in my diet, like hard sauces, fried, alcohol; I rest and if it get serious, i take some medicins.

09:12 AM Sep 18 2017 |

hermitlady

China

No. I have never got headache.

But I ever read some psychology books in which there was some explanations about migraines.

It was said the cause of the psychological subconscious was that: 

Resisting the operated of self-awareness , the way of action, the habit of personality and so on by others;

Resisting the process of the life developing ;

And frightening the problems of sex.

So the effective psychological suggestion of “self-healing” is that:

I will relax my whole body, my whole soul and fellow the flow of life naturally ;

I will conform to development of the laws of nature and accept the fact that the life is existed for me.

03:11 AM Sep 18 2017 |

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast