Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Conlangs
Conlangs

Learn English meaning of ‘conlang’

Date: Jan 26 2018

Themes: Hobbies, Pop Culture

Grammar: Adverbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Conlangs are constructed languages. This means they are made up, unlike real human languages. People will create conlangs for many reasons. They may be trying to make a language that everyone in the world can understand. But a lot of conlangs are used by fictional characters in books, movies, television, or other kinds of stories.

One example of a conlang is Klingon from the television series Star Trek. Mark Okrand studied linguistics and created Klingon for the Klingon people, an alien species. Many people find conlangs fun and fascinating. Others find it hard enough to learn a foreign language and don’t want to invest time in conlangs.

Andy is practicing his Klingon with Dominique or… trying to. Find out more in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Dominique

Dominique

Andy_H:  Dominique. Nook-nah!!

Dominique:  What in the world was that, Andy? You’re scaring me.

Andy_H:  That was Klingon for: “What do you want?!”

Dominique:  Klingon…?

Andy_H:  Yeah. It’s from Star Trek.

Dominique:  No.

Andy_H:  You don’t know Star Trek? What is wrong with you?

Dominique:  I know Star Wars.

Andy_H:  OK. Anyways, it’s a conlang.

Dominique:  What is that?

Andy_H:  OMG. OK, conlang: constructed language. It’s a language that somebody made up, usually for, you know, like TV or a book or movies… J.R. Tolkien, aka Lord of the Rings, loved making conlangs.

Dominique:  Really? I can barely learn foreign languages! Like, I don’t have time for fantasy made-up languages. That’s crazy!

Andy_H:  Well, maybe you should invest some more of your time in speaking awesome languages like Klingon!! QAPLA! If I were Klingon… I would be conquering the galaxy! I’m still learning… the linguistics are kind of, well, they’re hazy. Syntax, phonetics, it’s pretty crazy…

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adverbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy shouts ‘Nook-nah!!’ Dominique says Andy is scary and asks what he is doing. Andy is speaking Klingon from the television series, Star Trek. Dominique does not know that show or the language. Andy explains that Klingon is a conlang, a constructed language. Conlangs are made-up languages usually spoken by fictional characters in stories.

Andy gives some examples: J.R. Tolkien created a conlang for Lord of the Rings. Dominique can barely learn foreign languages. She doesn’t want to invest the time or energy to learn a fake language like Klingon. Andy thinks that Klingon is way cool. If he spoke it like the Klingon aliens, he could conquer the galaxy, just like them.

What do you think of conlangs? What is your favorite conlang from a movie or a book?

Comments

funnday

funnday

Egypt

It’s funny to learn fantasy language but i think it’s a waste of time 

instead learning a real language will help in communication and knowing new cultures 

10:29 AM Jan 27 2018 |

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

Interesting topic. I never heard of this slang ‘conlangs’ before. However, I heard of con artist, mountebank and charlatan; who pull a wool over someone’s eyes. In these meaning conlangs are languages that are constructed to be understood by few selected to con the rest. It sounds like esoteric (occult) languages. In the case of ‘Hary Potter series’ and ‘Lord of the rings’ too, the atmosphere is magical, mysterious and occult. I really love to understand metaphorically rich occult languages that describe things and events in totally different way.

08:49 AM Jan 27 2018 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Like Dominique, I don’t think it’s wise to invest your time learning a fictional language. Language is about communication, with whom would I speak Klingon? Aliens!?

I would work on real languages instead. English is one of them.

08:26 PM Jan 26 2018 |

hofpilsSuper Member!

Germany

Conlangs are truly embarrassing. That’s all to say about it.

05:53 AM Jan 26 2018 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast