Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

英雄 Hero

aljensen

aljensen

United States

I watched Hero (英雄) last night. It was obvious how much the film influenced Quentin Tarrantino, one scene from Kill Bill was almost exactly the same as in Hero. In fact, Quentin Tarrantino helped to introduce Hero (英雄) into the United States.

It was cool watching it, because I could even understand sometimes when they spoke Chinese, just a few basic sentences, but it was still fun.

04:57 AM Jun 08 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Maggie_Guo

Maggie_Guo

China

Hi Aljensen, the only reason this movie hit me was there are so many stars in it.  They are quite famous in China, but not sure as much as in Hollywood.

For your information, its directot is good at shooting beautiful scene and action, especially kongfu of course. And he is also the director of opening ceremony of Olympic Games 2008.

But what they say in Hero, I'm sorry to say that, is very simple and meaningless. I guess that's why you can understand some of them.  I'd go find some English movies like this to improve my hearingFoot in mouth

08:39 AM Jun 08 2008 |

dadong

dadong

China

what's the "Quentin Tarrantino"? a film?

Hero(英雄) has exhibit (i don't know whether this word is correct i want to say 展示) a basic logic of  Chinese culture.

it's "无中生有,有中蕴无"。so ,at the end of film ,the emperor said "剑的最高境界是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是不杀,是和平"。

I like this film ,but it told the same story three times ,it's too prolixity .

08:41 AM Jun 08 2008 |

Ashlee Liu

Ashlee Liu

China

Quentin is a director of America.I am Chinese!

I know him because of kill bill~~

I have seen Hero six years ago,I believe it is positive to the world.

01:26 PM Jun 08 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

I agree with you maggie guo that the film was not that complex, that is, it was a basic story and the themes were presented in a very straightforward manner.

However, the cinematography was excellent. 

04:10 PM Jun 08 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I agree, Al. A great film. It was beautifully shot and had some great fight scenes. I might have to watch it again now  :)

06:43 PM Jun 08 2008 |