Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

10 recommendations by the Dubai Family Guidance Department

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Here are 10 recommendations by the Family Guidance and Reformation Department of the Dubai Courts. Isn't this 2008? I can't believe that people actually think this is true. No wonder the divorce rate in the UAE is sky rocketing. 

This is what they recommend:

Recommendations to wives

1. Men are different from women
  2. Men are not talkative, so don’t nag
  3. Men like to be the focus of a woman’s attention so don’t ignore them or make them feel unwanted
  4. Men like to talk about their work, so don’t expect them to talk about everything you like
  5. Men may have a hard time expressing their feelings, so don’t force them to say something they don’t want to say
  6. Men by nature hate failure, so try not to criticise them
  7. Men like to be alone when they get angry, so don’t intrude on their solitude
  8. Men are capable of solving problems, so don’t impose your thoughts on them
  9. Men don’t shop that much and they like a contented woman, so don’t be too demanding
  10. Men like a woman who can satisfy their desires, so shower them with love and care as well as appreciation

Recommendations to husbands

1. Women are different from men
  2. Women are more sensitive and emotional and expect your support all the time
  3. Women like a man who flirts with them and satisfies them sexually
  4. Women like to talk about themselves, so don’t criticise (sic) them
  5. Women like shopping and spending money, so don’t be a miser. Try to offer her gifts and invite her to go out frequently
  6. Women like to feel loved and cared for
  7. Don’t think of committing adultery because it is very harsh on a woman’s feelings
  8. Women like to be heard or listened to, so don’t stay away from your wife
  9. Women’s moods and attitudes change during pregnancy and menstruation so take this into consideration
  10. Women need a man to trust and rely on, so don’t disappoint her

These concepts are so out-dated and incredibly male-oriented that I thought I was reading something from the 50s. I can only assume that the situation is worse in more conservative countries. 

12:28 PM Sep 15 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

spontan

spontan

Germany

hi oonah!

i must smile,you know very well the dark side of the beloved husbands…my wife means it's only laziness the dark side in men…but you have right it must be a natural instinct maybe for saving power for important  things….but what is important?

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9279/mdakp6.gif

10:25 PM Sep 21 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

earning money so your wife can go shopping?

Laughing

10:45 PM Sep 21 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Men are fun, they are even funnier when they LIKE fixing things around the house and you still get some time alone.

First they need a couple of hours to decide how to do the Job. ( I like to confuse and upset them so I make suggestions )

Than they need materials and go to the store. They allways forget stuff so they'll end up going 3 times.

Than they get depressed because the statement "Its cheaper when I do it myself!" doesn't apply anymore. 

They always overestimate their handyman-abillities (it's a genetic thing, I'm sure.) so they'll get it all wrong the first time.

Than they look at their work for a couple of hours, all frustrated and angry. (Try asking: "Are you sure that's how its supposed to look?")

Than you need to wait a couple of days, they won't fix it rightaway, it takes time for a man to face his mistakes. :)

I love watching them, what really pisses them of is when you keep giving them advice all the time, or when you say "Its ok hunny, I know you did your best, I love you anyway."

My man really hates fixing stuff around the house (dunno why), he always calls the handyman. But I'm a bit sadistic, so I go shopping at IKEA a lot. :)

04:53 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Hey Bellavi, nice to see you again.

".... I like to be alone…. often"

It depends on the man, hihi.

05:24 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Maybe it was something you stated above.

mmm, you think?

05:25 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Laughing

Nu, you rock!

05:45 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

stoned?

05:58 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

definition:

rock: hard stick (bright-colored stick candy typically peppermint flavored.)

Embarassed

06:03 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Oh, could I have fun with that one.

hehe, try to control yourself.

Hey, did you ever get drunk on peppermint schnapps?
I knew a guy who did and he got sick. He was no fun around the holidays. He couldn't look a candy cane in the face without wanting to "ralph".

Hehe, well at least it probably smelled good. :)

06:16 AM Sep 22 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

earning money so your wife can go shopping?

Laughing

oh oohnah,your question mark is very important,because it is not easy to be a good husband,i try to explain with the 10 recommendation :

no question, money is important, only with money i can do my duty number five:

Women like shopping and spending money, so don’t be a miser. Try to offer her gifts and invite her to go out frequently

but when i work to hard i am stressed and tired in the evening and get a problem with my duty number three:

Women like a man who flirts with them and satisfies them sexually

oonah you see it is not easy to be a good husband but we give our best, because we are thirsty about the love showers our wife shall give us in their recommendation number 10

Men like a woman who can satisfy their desires, so shower them with love and care as well as appreciation

11:12 AM Sep 22 2008 |