Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

10 recommendations by the Dubai Family Guidance Department

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Here are 10 recommendations by the Family Guidance and Reformation Department of the Dubai Courts. Isn't this 2008? I can't believe that people actually think this is true. No wonder the divorce rate in the UAE is sky rocketing. 

This is what they recommend:

Recommendations to wives

1. Men are different from women
  2. Men are not talkative, so don’t nag
  3. Men like to be the focus of a woman’s attention so don’t ignore them or make them feel unwanted
  4. Men like to talk about their work, so don’t expect them to talk about everything you like
  5. Men may have a hard time expressing their feelings, so don’t force them to say something they don’t want to say
  6. Men by nature hate failure, so try not to criticise them
  7. Men like to be alone when they get angry, so don’t intrude on their solitude
  8. Men are capable of solving problems, so don’t impose your thoughts on them
  9. Men don’t shop that much and they like a contented woman, so don’t be too demanding
  10. Men like a woman who can satisfy their desires, so shower them with love and care as well as appreciation

Recommendations to husbands

1. Women are different from men
  2. Women are more sensitive and emotional and expect your support all the time
  3. Women like a man who flirts with them and satisfies them sexually
  4. Women like to talk about themselves, so don’t criticise (sic) them
  5. Women like shopping and spending money, so don’t be a miser. Try to offer her gifts and invite her to go out frequently
  6. Women like to feel loved and cared for
  7. Don’t think of committing adultery because it is very harsh on a woman’s feelings
  8. Women like to be heard or listened to, so don’t stay away from your wife
  9. Women’s moods and attitudes change during pregnancy and menstruation so take this into consideration
  10. Women need a man to trust and rely on, so don’t disappoint her

These concepts are so out-dated and incredibly male-oriented that I thought I was reading something from the 50s. I can only assume that the situation is worse in more conservative countries. 

12:28 PM Sep 15 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

oonah

oonah

Germany

Ah but mother nature in all Her goodness provided the solution to your problem.
Laughing

Shopping deffinitely increases the amount of love showers women give, and while she is shopping, you can rest.

Cool

11:34 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

hmmm, I have to have a talk with my man when he comes home, hehe.

Tell him my new theories.

Innocent

11:36 AM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

you should know before the dark inside of most European men, look to the film Alexandre…

Brief summary
Philippe Noiret plays a henpecked childless farmer that lives oppressed by his authoritarian and materialistic wife. When she and her relatives are killed in a car accident, he decides that it is time to take it easy and enjoy life a little, sets all his livestock free, and then practically disappears. The only clue that he is still alive is his dog, who periodically goes shopping to the closest town with a basket in its mouth. After several attempts, a delegation sent by the citizens finds he has retired —to his bed. This creates no small social upheaval in this working-class small French town where hard work is regaded as a virtue, and hence his attitude is viewed as a scandal and a menace.

wow, that's one well-trained puppy. :) I wonder if I could get my cats to go shopping for me…

"authoritarian and materialistic wife" is this a hint? Laughing

12:03 PM Sep 22 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Bouge pas comme ça, tu me fatigue! hehe

Faut prendre le temps de prendre son temps, he is right. :)

btw: if you past your text in notepad first, you get rid of the html code.

12:20 PM Sep 22 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

thank you ,life is never ending learning,hop my brain and my

computer can transform your advice.

"authoritarian and materialistic wife" is this a hint? Laughing

oh i don't know you,in ebaby happened curious things, sometimes i feel like in in the fairytale one thousand and one night…

09:21 PM Sep 22 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

oh i think maple leaf can stay in canada when he has the wish to feel like in the 50th….he must only go  to church…

i posted these Canadian church rules in monattas topic"before marriage…and after marriage" at 28th april2008 maybe the rules have inspired ….the Dubai rules were publish22.may 2008… in many parts have the Koran and the Bible are similar rules…

ten commandments for husbands
  1. Thou shalt not take thy wife for granted, but will honour and respect her as thy equal. (1 Pet 3:7)
  2. Thy highest allegiance, except God, shall be to thy wife, not thy relatives or friends. (Gen 2:24)
  3. Thou shalt frequently tell thy wife how important & valuable she is to thee. (Phil 2:3; Prov 31:10-11)
  4. Thou shalt hold thy wife's love by the same means that thou won it. (Sos 5:10-16)
  5. Thou shalt actively establish family discipline with thy wife's help. (Eph 6:4)
  6. Remember to do all the little things for thy wife when you say you will. (Mt 5:37)
  7. Keep thine eyes on thy own wife, not thy neighbors. (Prov 5:15-20; Job 31:1; Jer 5:8)
  8. Thou shalt make every effort to see things from thy wife's point of view. (Gen 21:12)
  9. Thou shalt not fail to kiss thy wife every morning. (Sos 8:1)
  10. Thou shalt not be stingy with thy wife when it comes to money. (Esther 5:3)

For long version outline of 10 commandments for husbands click here

Ten commandments for wives
  1. Expect not thy husband to give thee as many luxuries as thy father hath given thee after many years of hard labor. (Phil 4:11; Amos 4:1)
  2. Thou shalt work hard to build thy house with the husband that you have, not fantasizing about "the one that could have been". (Prov 14:1)
  3. Thou shalt not nag…hit him with thine frying pan, it is kindlier. (Prov 27:15; 21:19)
  4. Thou shalt coddle thy husband and be a warm wife. (1 Cor 7:3-5)
  5. Remember that the frank approval of thy husband is more to thee than the side glances of many strangers. (Ezek 16:32; 2 Pet 2:14)
  6. Thou shalt not yell at thy husband but will be a gentle and quiet spirit. (1 Pet 3:1-4)
  7. Permit no one to assure thee that thou art having a hard time of it. (1 Pet 5:9)
  8. Thou shall not fail to dress up for thy husband with an eye to please him, as thou didst before marriage. (Sos 4:9-11)
  9. Thou shalt submit to thy husband from thy heart and allow him to be head of the household. (Col 3:18; 1 Pet 3:6; Eph 5:33)
  10. Thou shalt assure thy husband and others that he is the greatest man alive. (Phil 2:3; Sos 5:9-16)

For long version outline of 10 commandments for wives click here

10:35 PM Sep 22 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

just test your  advice oonah…... so i can delete the ugly html code

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jwk0_alexandre-le-bienheureux-2_fun

yes, my computer and my brain can transform your tip. 

you see even husbands do sometimes things, women have teach us!!!

http://img108.exs.cx/img108/1172/a4nvictory.gif

11:47 AM Sep 23 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

nice to read all those posts!

men and women are really different and it's nice to enjoy differences.

oonah, it's nice that your man pays the bill,isn't it?Winkit's a good way to feel fimlinity.

it's not nice to have either'authoritarian and materialistic' wife or husband.i wish men can understand and be generous without that the woman feel the need to  ask.

spontan, those are my grandmother's recommendments and it's true that they still work,but she also says : be vigilant and never trust a man's natureLaughing.

i don't agree with the recommendation n8.are men really capable of solving problems?!!!

01:39 PM Sep 23 2008 |