Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

puritanism

dahlia

Turkey

Puritanism is one of the most powerful forces that have shaped American culture and national identity. It maintains its legacy even today.
In my writing assignment, I have asked to contribute puritanism to the conception of “American dream” so anyone who has knowledge can help me?!!

09:54 AM Dec 27 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Tanis

United States

Hey Dahlia!

Puritans were very hard workers. Their strict rules about work, and their belief that hard work was what God wanted from them led to something called the Protestant Work Ethic, which basically states that:

A universal taboo is placed on idleness, and industriousness is considered a religious ideal; waste is a vice, and frugality a virtue; complacency and failure are outlawed, and ambition and success are taken as sure signs of God’s favour; the universal sign of sin is poverty, and the crowning sign of God’s favour is wealth.

This in turn led to the idea that if you work hard enough in America, you can be a great success… that anything is possible….

I hope this helps! If you have more questions, please just drop us a line!

Tanis

08:54 PM Dec 27 2001 |

dahlia

Turkey

Thank you Tanis it really helps!!

03:25 PM Dec 30 2001 |