Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Should people be fined for illegally downloading songs?

liuyouth11

China

How  much would  you  pay  for that Carrie Un-derwood single ?One dollar ?Two >?How about  more than $200,000?

Many people illegally download songs .Cur-rently,people in 7.8 million homes have used file-sharing  programs  to download music .But downloading music without paying for  the songs is stealing .Until  recently ,people got away with it .In October 2007,the  recording industry sued Jammie Thomas ,30,from Minnesota,for illegally downloading 24 songs .The recording industry won ,and Thomas was  ordered to  pay $222,000.

Should  people be  forced to  pay  huge fines  or even be  arrested for illgally downloading music ?Some say  yes .When songs  are downloaded illegally,the  artist  does not  recive payment for his  or  her work."The case  does send  a message , I HOPE ,that  downloading ….is not  ok ."says  Richard Gabriel ,a lawyer for  the  music  companies .

Others believe that  regular people should not be forced to pay such  large  fines ,Most people cannot

afford the  fines .In addition,hackers can use people"Sscreen  names without their  knowledge."My client  did"t do it "said Brian Toder ,Thomas lawyer.Saomeone  used her name ?"

Sound off .Should  people be  fined  for  illegally  downloading music?

show  ur  opinions  here !

11:06 AM Nov 06 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

jackiejohn

China

i argee with you opion that it's  is illleagal !but just like you said ,most people cannot afford the fines!it's a really hard question!can i ask you a question?do you download the song without money?

01:17 PM Nov 06 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Well, if people have money to go online, then they would certainly have money to buy songs,

Greed is the root of all evil, people want to download all the latest song which they don;t even listen, Large collection are just to show off in front of friends.

But i don;t agree with 220,000$ fine, Paying double the sings worth would be a better punishment and a written "consent" that they will never indulge in illigal download.

01:45 PM Nov 06 2008 |

liuyouth11

China

i  tkink so too !

12:18 PM Nov 07 2008 |