Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

why does God allow suffering?

gkisseberth

Germany

Why does God allow suffering?

A

B

or C ?

01:45 AM Jan 11 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

devindernagpal

India

Existence knows happenings only,suffering & comfort are our feelings, both are not existential,these are purely our considerations.

02:37 AM Jan 11 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

A, B and C combined?

01:23 PM Jan 11 2009 |

endurereality

United States

none, he doesn't exist. but great excuses, ahah.

05:21 PM Jan 11 2009 |

M_honor

M_honor

Lebanon

Do you want to live a life without death? without sickness ? without sadness? without pains?

do you ask a full perfection? do you ask a heaven?

there is an arabic proverb says: "The goodness is from God but the evil is from ourselves"

06:54 PM Jan 11 2009 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

i didn't like anyone.. :) A B or C :P

I have a better answer :P

06:59 PM Jan 11 2009 |

Marigold

United Arab Emirates

I would say what CaN I Cry said. :)

08:56 PM Jan 11 2009 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Omnipotence and benevolence are tricky like this.  If God acts in the world for good, say, if we praise him for our good fortune, good health, or our tribe's military victories, then why do we not blame him for our diseases and our failures and our defeats?

Why do we thank God when we find a lost pencil but forget God when an innocent child is murdered?  Why does God help some people with their trifles but neglect other people in their hour of desperate need?  Why does God heal colds and infections, even cancer, but somehow, never ever an amputee?

With the Enlightenment, Western religion has had to grapple with these questions in a quite profound way.  While maybe we have lost the "invisible friend" God of old, who kept us physically healthy and kept our fields fertile, I think the movement towards personal goodness and personal responsibility is for the best, and for the religious, the nature of God as physically aloof, if not spiritually aloof, is a much better doctrine for happiness and mental comfort.

06:28 AM Jan 12 2009 |

poseidon12

poseidon12

Egypt

Well, there are a short story about that and maybe it might answer your question..There is a man who got a barbershop and started to talk with him..suddenly the barber talked about god saying.."I dont think he exist, because he does there wont poorness and all that bad things..and another fella answer…I think the barbers doesnt exist..And the barber said..Of course man how you said that..and am i? the guy went on..If they exist there wont man with long beard in the streets…and the barber said..yeah but they dont come with me…and he said "GOD EXIST..BUT THE PEOPLE DONT COME TO HIM…"

12:53 PM Jan 12 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

ha, yes,can any one also tell me how to distinguish between "Suffering" given by god to test his subjects and

"Suffering" given by god  as punishment?

01:58 PM Jan 12 2009 |

Sawdestination

Mexico

We can´t appreciate the good moments without the bad ones. I think it´s all about balance. God doesn´t makes us suffer without a reason. There´s no fail in the world he creates. I believe all have its reasons to be, but sometimes, as humans, we can not see so far and understand why are happening such things.

02:51 PM Jan 12 2009 |