Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

to Tanis

leuven

United States

Dear Tanis:
I’m a bartender in Taiwan. so happy u wrote a real conversation about bar conversation.
but,after read it, I have a question about the definition of “well”.
In general,customers say ” vodka from the well is fine” that means “bar vodka(house brand)is fine,I don’t have any preference(brand or favor preference)” is that right?
but from your definition: well(n)—a container at the bar for drinks.
I’m wondering why the “well” is a “container”?because in my trainning “well” is nothing to do with a container it has to do with “brand”,”cost”,”promotion”,”store keeping”.....
well, maybe our bartendering trainning in Taiwan is wrong.
so, would you tell me more about the idea of “well” in the USA?
I’m looking forward to your reply.
Leuven 2002.4.16

11:53 AM Apr 17 2002 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Tanis

United States

Hi Leuven!

You are right.. the well has nothing to do with the container in which the alchol is kept. I made a mistake on that definition. Whatever generic vodka the bar serves, is vodka from the “well”. “Top shelf” vodka would be brand name, or expensive and fancy vodka from a reputable company!

I’m sorry about any confusion! When the term “well drinks” started out it came from where the alchol was stored, but today it means just what you thought!

Hope this helps,

Tanis

05:52 PM May 02 2002 |