Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

An idea suddenly occured to me! Let's improve our english together ! Stir youself!!!1

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

Let's go folks! One slang on day!

An idea suddenly occurred to me …......we can share the slangs or useful expressions you learned from movies or songs and you think very useful and practical in daily life  together…...................

There are many slangs in english and some of them can't be found in your textbook…. i think only the native speakers understand the deep meaning of it….

but they are very useful and enrich  your language ., the problem is we seldom have the oppotunity to use them in our daily life so despite that we may have read the slang b4 but forget it very soon…......

eg :"she is always running the show' means she is the boss she decides …......

04:32 AM Apr 15 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

sitting pretty:(In a favorable position)

edorado…. it is good to hear you are on the top of the world and hope you keep there forever…hahaha…..It seems you are sitting pretty in your country…..

i reviewed  the song it is pretty beautiful….....most of songs of Carpenters are classics….....even if a little bit sentimental…........Smile

April 18

09:42 AM Apr 18 2007 |

jasmin1976

jasmin1976

Tunisia

gaga: insane person

belt up!: be quiet! shut up!

gab: to chatter, talk

10:48 AM Apr 18 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

THE SHOOTING SPREE

Breaking news on CNN – Mass killing, Massacre at Vir-tech, 32 people dead.

What drove the gunman last Monday's shooting spree? The gunman shot repeately to his victims ( the crowd of students and teachers ) for about half hour.The worst case of crime in the US history.The world seems so bleak, so horrible, for a group of people in some place.The killing shocked the world. 

04:26 AM Apr 19 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

throw the key & lower the boom….....

the criminal rate is so high in the United States….why can't they lower the boom. I think this time the judge won't only lock him up  and throw away the key…........

lower the boom: take a more severe punishment

throw away the key: sentence sb to life in prison with no chance of parole…....

08:29 AM Apr 19 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

Yep, that's the LAST STRAW!

06:47 PM Apr 19 2007 |

yjmcup1

yjmcup1

China

thank you wendy wang ,I think you put forward a good idea.It is useful in learning the deep meaning of english.

"no pain ,no gain"It is an easy idiom,but i like it most.it's meaning is"one can't acquire anything if he don't work hard."

02:49 AM Apr 20 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

CARRY MORE WEIGHT

As always our English teacher's words carry more weight than mines, although my views is more sensible.

Our English class is Male Only.She is our favourite teacher, an attractive and fun loving woman.You can imagine how our English lesson is going on.She is the only woman in class, it is fantastic, and we all have a lot of wild imagination.Everything she says seems to us always right.The more we listen to her, the more we love English, the more we learn.So I have to admit that her words carry more weight than what they should be.

03:54 AM Apr 20 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

yimcup  thanks and plz leave at least one slang    next time….......share it with usSmile

Fine and dandy…...

A:"You wanna sit down or aren't you?What's wrong with your legs?"

B:"Nothing at all. My legs are just fine and dandy."

"Let’s go out tonight! ”. “Fine and dandy; I’ll see you at 8.”

you guys are really fine and dandy!!!

fine and dandy=supergood….........

08:57 AM Apr 20 2007 |

hernawan

Indonesia

this is a very useful forum and it is something worthy for me. Have a friend to share English, really could improve my language skill, at least in writing. 

04:03 PM Apr 20 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

hernawan: BUT CAN'T YOU LEAVE A SLANG? OR SOMETHING TO THE EFFECTCool

has the cat eaten your tongue?

Has the cat eaten your tongue?=why you are so silent? why don't you say something?

03:16 PM Apr 21 2007 |