Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Turkish TV rocks!

gkisseberth

Germany

Salvation at the end of a television showISTANBUL – Just when one thought TVshows could not get more outrageous, Kanal T comes up with the idea to make an imam, a priest, a rabbi and a Buddhist monk try to convert 10 atheists. While some fear the program could create problems, a sociologist says this just shows the yearning to learn more about religions

A new show set to grace Turkish television screens will see a Muslim imam, a Christian priest, a Jewish rabbi and a Buddhist monk competing to turn 10 unbelievers into devotees of their own faith each week.

The show, "Tövbekarlar Yarışıyor," which can be roughly translated as "Penitents Compete," will appear on Kanal T starting in early September. The imam, priest, rabbi and monk will try to convert at least one person in every show.

Kanal T was launched in January 2008 with mostly female presenters in front of the camera and also has a chairwoman managing the media group.

Seyhan Soylu, a famous transsexual known as "Sisi," is the mastermind behind the new religion-themed program and will be moderated by well-known female newscaster Gülgün Feyman. The show’s producer is model Ayşe Önal.

Kanal T Deputy Director Ahmet Özdemir told the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review that the program is the first of its kind in the world.

"The project aims to turn disbelievers into [believers in] God," no matter which religion they choose in the end, Özdemir said, adding that he believes the program will also be useful for those who want to learn more about other religions. "When people heard that we were going to air a program called ’Penitents Compete,’ it was hard for them to see what it was all about, but many people are waiting impatiently [for the show]."

The program will only take place in the studio, unlike shows such as "Big Brother," where contestants are isolated together in a house. An eight-person team of theologians and producers, which Özdemir refers to as a commission, will be sifting through the applicants to check their atheist credentials.

Each week, a different group of atheists will appear in front of the religious leaders. The producers of the show are well aware that there is a chance none of the atheists will be convinced by the arguments presented to them. Yet if an ex-atheist is "persuaded" to start following one of the religions, he or she will have the chance to travel to that religion’s center, whether Jerusalem for Christians and Jews or Mecca for Muslims or Tibet for Buddhists.

06:08 PM Jun 28 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Kanal T??? :S:S I have never heard of it..  We have 120 Turkish channels but no Kanal T but it seems interesting.

06:27 PM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

hmm..  I was on the website www.kanalt.com.tr and there is nothing about such thing.

06:33 PM Jun 28 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

wtf?

Just some info: Rabbis aren't supposed to try and convert anyone, I'm not sure how they're going to do this.

06:43 PM Jun 28 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I guess it just eans an advantage for the others. I'm wondering if the contestants will get some bonus prize for converting the religious men.

06:53 PM Jun 28 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

hmm..  I was on the website www.kanalt.com.tr and there is nothing about such thing.

here's one source. Of course, I can't be sure it's reliable

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/Yasam/SonDakika.aspx?aType=SonDakika&ArticleID=1110600&Date=25.06.2009&b=Televizyonda%20dinler%20yarisacak

07:09 PM Jun 28 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

hmm.. if milliyet says that then it is true. I am totally against it because it is totally stupid. It is just using religions for money and ratings. It is such stupid. But I dont think anybody watches Kanal T in Turkey.

In general if atheists convert to Islam it would be really good for them. 

07:30 PM Jun 28 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

It is just using religions for money and ratings

seems a better use to me than some others.  :)

I might pretend to convert for a free trip to Jerusalem or Tibet.  

07:40 PM Jun 28 2009 |

_innocent_

_innocent_

Turkey

i heard about it..

just nonsense..

09:41 PM Jun 28 2009 |

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

gkiss,

if so, join the competition…Cool

08:06 AM Jun 29 2009 |

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

maybe you can start to believe God by not being aware…

08:11 AM Jun 29 2009 |