Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Halal search engine will help Muslims avoid forbidden internet sites

gkisseberth

Germany

Halal search engine will help Muslims avoid forbidden internet sitesA halal search-engine has been launched so Muslims can browse the internet without fear of stumbling across content considered forbidden, or "haram", under Islamic law. 

By Lucy Cockcroft
Published: 11:09PM BST 01 Sep 2009

The search engine, ImHalal.com, only fetches results that are flagged as "Halal" and safe for Muslim users.

While the internet has grown in popularity across the Islamic world, many Muslims have been put off search engines because of religious concerns.

ImHalal.com's founder, Reza Sardeha, said he got the idea for the site after friends complained that the more popular search engines, including Google and Yahoo!, were flagging up explicit content.

"First of all, we have blocked all sexually explicit content. We are also in talks with Imams to determine what might be considered haram and therefore be blocked," he said.

"Imhalal is not a dictatorial or censorship website, we want people to be able to continue their online search.

"We use a two layer system, first of all the search engine analyses the content fetched by Imhalal.com and all websites that contain explicit material will be filtered out. Some websites will still be fetched and there the secondary, more aggressive and progressive filter kicks in and that is when you will see the haram level."

Mr Sardeha hopes his website will become the home page in all Muslim households and, despite only going live on September 1, already has plans to expand the product.

He said: "In one month's time we hope to add Islamic widgets such as prayer time so that you can easily find out when to pray or when you come to the website you will see a quote from the Koran. We are marketing Imhalal as a social home page for Muslim households"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6123972/Halal-search-engine-will-help-Muslims-avoid-forbidden-internet-sites.html

03:56 AM Sep 03 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Halal search engine will help Muslims avoid forbidden internet sites

Ooh, good idea, i think u will use it at least for ur kids, till they become adult and choose the sexy sites as othersLaughing

06:51 AM Sep 03 2009 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Great idea! thanks for sharing such a lovely piece of information.

Are you also going to use Halal search engine? What you think about this idea? dont you think it would help parents to protect their children from destructive kind of informations which are related to drugs, crimes, and pronography etc?!

07:41 AM Sep 03 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

"Oops! Your search inquiry has a Haram level of 3 out of 3! I would like to advise you to change your search terms and try again."
wounderful, it is good, hope gkiss become muslim cause of thatLaughing

12:32 PM Sep 03 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

i think he will use I'MHARAM.COM......Wink

12:35 PM Sep 03 2009 |

Lini

Lini

Indonesia

osesame

osesame

i think he will use I'MHARAM.COM......Wink

gyahaa..LOL xD

12:54 AM Sep 04 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

" gyahaa..LOL xD"
I hope Lini he get it as uLaughing...

06:14 AM Sep 04 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

IS THAT TOPIC CREATED BY ME ABOUT MUSLIMS , NUT FABS?!!!

10:10 AM Sep 05 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

where r u fabs to reply? to refute ur false allegationUndecided

08:56 AM Sep 06 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

thanks for the site gkiss, i ll use it.

08:04 PM Sep 08 2009 |