Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian baby

gkisseberth

Germany

this is worse than the "miraculous" images of the Virgin Mary appearing in cheese sandwiches or the like. Here someone is using a baby to further their hoax.

Russians flock to see 'miracle' baby

(01:48) Report

Oct 24 – Pilgrims flock to see a 'miracle' baby in southern Russia's Dagestan whose skin appears to be a canvas for verses from the Koran.

video  

http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=113581

Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian babyA "miracle" baby has brought hope to people in Russia's mostly Muslim southern fringe who are increasingly desperate in the face of Islamist violence. 

Published: 12:27AM BST 22 Oct 2009

Previous1 of 2 ImagesNextAli Yakubov: Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian babyVerses from the Koran are said to appear and fade every few days on Ali Yakubov's skinPhoto: REUTERS

Thousands of pilgrims queued up this week in blazing sunshine to get a glimpse of 9-month-old baby Ali Yakubov, on whose body verses from the Koran are said to appear and fade every few days.

Pinkish in colour and several centimetres high, the Koranic verse "Be grateful to Allah" was printed on the infant's right leg in clearly legible Arabic script this week, religious leaders said. Visiting foreign journalists later saw a single letter after the rest had vanished.

"The fact that this miracle happened here is a signal to us to take the lead and help our brothers and sisters find peace," said Sagid Murtazaliyev, head of the Kizlyar region about 100 miles north of Makhachkala, the sprawling Dagestani capital on the Caspian Sea.

"We must not forget there is a war going on here," he told Muslim leaders who had invited the press to witness what they claim is a sign from God.

Islam in Russia is widely believed to have originated in ethnically rich Dagestan, where 3 million people speak over 30 languages and whose ancient walled city of Derbent claims to be Russia's oldest city.

A spate of recent suicide bombs and armed attacks on police and security services in Dagestan, Ingushetia and neighbouring Chechnya, where Russia has fought two separatist wars, has shattered a few years of relative calm in the North Caucasus.

Up to 2,000 pilgrims come daily to see the blue-eyed baby, whose pink brick house has become a shrine.

Green satin flags mark the way to the baby's modest family home in Kizlyar, a small town of lime-coloured mosques, cornfields and dirt roads whose dust bellows into the sky.

Dagestan's omnipresent armed police patrol the house while imams change photos of Yakubov's arms and legs covered in Arabic script from previous episodes to both jubilation and wails from the bustling crowd.

They say the fact Yakubov's 27-year-old father Shamil works in the police force – a regular target by militants – is proof of divine intervention.

Sayid Amirov, Makhachkala's influential mayor who has survived around a dozen attacks on his life since the mid-1990s, interpreted the recent buzz around the baby as a warning.

"What happened here is indeed a miracle, but this should also be a message to not take religion too far," he told reporters.

Authorities say Islamist extremism is as responsible for the growing violence as widespread poverty, and experts add the insurgency is also recruiting foreign al-Qaeda militants who seek an Islamic state in the north Caucasus.

Holding up his right foot where a single Arabic letter remained from the latest episode, Yakubov's 26-year-old mother Madina said she had no doubt the verses – which first appeared two weeks after birth – were connected to extremism.

"Allah is great and he sent me my miracle child to keep our people safe," she told Reuters.

Though divine "miracles" are common in Christianity – such as weeping icons and stigmata, bleeding wounds in the hands and feet similar to those of Christ – Islam rarely reports them.

08:52 PM Nov 05 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

sorry Rosella, this atheist is by no means convinced by this "miracle" and it only serves to further my belief that religion does more harm than good. 

02:06 AM Nov 25 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

u still didn’t bother urself by searching the vedio on U TUBE , while the mater is easy to watch!!!!
and in the same time u said ” we will see the authenticity of it” ....who r ” we” u mentioned?
if those ” we” can’t find the simple vedio , how thsoe ” we” know the authenticity??!!!!!!!
btw, ur reply to Konstaka is very weak!!!!!!!

09:26 AM Nov 25 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

u still didn’t bother urself by searching the vedio on U TUBE , while the mater is easy to watch!!!! 

I've seen many of the videos on YouTube, in English and in Russian. I've seen no video of the marks appearing the the baby's skin. Only video or photos after they are there.  

and in the same time u said ” we will see the authenticity of it” ....who r ” we” u mentioned?

I think at the time I meant you and I, but we can include everyone interested as well.  

btw, ur reply to Konstaka is very weak!!!!!!!

Then address it, pleaee.  

05:44 PM Nov 25 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

I'm guessing if instead of a verse of koran would be a face of Virgin Mary as many stories I've heard, will they defended, will they say "this coulde be real"?

I think not.

07:41 PM Nov 26 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Well, impossible and "cant be possible" are essentially the same thing, aren't they.

Yes, and at the first, I wanted to write “It's impossible just because it's impossible.” I think you understand what I mean and I don't have to expand it, eh?

However, I didn't say it was impossible.

I didn't mean precisely you, that it were you who said it. I was speaking in general.

I will say that it's amazingly unlikely (would you agree?)

Probably.

and that lacking credible evidence, I would suspect it's a fake.

The difference is that you believe in evidence and I still want to believe in people. Don't they no longer deserve credit?

An unknown reason is simply that: a reason that is unexplained or unknown. Obviously our knowledge of medicine is vast, but still incomplete and doctors are baffled by some things that the human body does.

I found the following definition of magic:

Possessing distinctive qualities that produce unaccountable or baffling effects.

I find that human body possesses such qualities, doesn't it? ;)

writing from a book appearing on a baby's skin, willed there by someone's god.

I always thought that magic and religion are incompatible. Remember witches. They had been burned by church, hadn't they? Until now I have also thought that miracles in Islam are not welcomed.

One of my dictionaries gives one definition of magic as the use of special powers to make things happen which would usually be impossible, such as in stories for children.

I think this fits.

I think this fits the “unknown reason” as well.

I would hail if science addressed the needs of discovering similar things.

I would follow the principle in the case: it's true while opposite not proved. 

06:25 PM Nov 27 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Konstka, 

I believe in people and most of the time probably give people more credit than they deserve. However, as I said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

This is indeed a very improbable event, as you agreed. Which is the more likely explanation: that the marks are caused by humans or by a god (or magic, fairies, witches, demons… whatever SUPERnatural force you want to say)?

10:19 PM Nov 27 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Which is the more likely explanation: that the marks are caused by humans or by a god (or magic, fairies, witches, demons… whatever SUPERnatural force you want to say)?

Is it the rhetorical question? If it's not then I don't know. I think you found good term for things like this—"unknown reason". Therefore I would reformulate the question in this way: Which is the most likely explanation: that the marks are caused by human or by 'unknown reasons'? As you know I consider supernatural as natural as any other thing which is reputed as natural. The only thing, we can't explain it right  now. I think you'll agree with me if I say that if someone from the, say, 19th century was told about some thing we consider ordinary now would have taken it for something impossible and supernatural.

09:43 AM Nov 29 2009 |

khadija.y

Mauritania

well, if I may answer  when you say the cause of your skepticism is the lack of proof regarding these marks and if they are the making of human intervention ..it seems as if you are implying that their might be someone so sick to carve these letters on the leg of a nine month baby !!! Of course because Muslims are such savages right ..!By your telling it could even be the parents who did it why not these people can do anything .isn't it.? If this is how you picture Islam and Muslims then sure deny whatever sign of God you like ..But just let me remind you that these Q'uranik verses are said to appear AND FADE so how do you explain that especially that we can see no scars on the baby's leg ..

11:27 PM Dec 16 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Of course because Muslims are such savages right ..!By your telling it could even be the parents who did it why not these people can do anything .isn't it.? If this is how you picture Islam and Muslims then sure deny whatever sign of God you like .

I have no ide if the parents of the baby re Muslims or not. Nor does it matter.  If I assume they are horrible parents it's not because they believe or don't believe in some imaginary sky god, it's because of what they may be doing to their child. 

.But just let me remind you that these Q'uranik verses are said to appear AND FADE so how do you explain that especially that we can see no scars on the baby's leg ..

I don't imagine that they are actually carving the verses into the babies, skin (since they do fade, as you noted) some kind of ink or pigment, or mild abrasions could quite easily explain the phenomenon, and are more reasonable than saying it's magic.

11:46 PM Dec 16 2009 |