Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Does your culture have any Customs?

Mostafa5

Mostafa5

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi.does ur culture have customs? For example in Canada if u are invited for a meal ,u should arrive on time-not early or late.   or in Indonesia    Never point to anything with your foot.    How about your Culture and Country ? :)

01:27 AM Aug 15 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

not  care about customs 

01:35 AM Aug 15 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

In the USA saying "please" and "thank you" (As well as indirect requests, like "could you get me that pen" instead of "get me that pen") is very important in all situations.  In some countries, like (parts of, Beijing I know is more polite than other parts) China, being close to someone, like family or a romantic relationship, involves a loosening of politeness standards like having to say please.  If I am close to a Chinese person, and I say, please do this, they will see it as establishing distance with them.  That is bad.  But in the USA, if I didn't say please to my mother, then… well, I prefer not to think about it : )

Americans are also always trained to thank people in service positions, like waiters or ticket takers, every time they help us.  

This is something peculiar to my hometown, also known as paradise on earth, Santa Barbara - 

Honking your car horn is considered REALLY rude.  People here don't do it.  Even if the car in front of you is not moving, if you honk on them, you should give an "I'm sorry" wave to apologize for such a terrible breach of etiquette.  People from other parts of the USA, like nearby Los Angeles, think this is really odd.  

07:06 AM Aug 15 2010 |

ALHAMED

ALHAMED

Saudi Arabia

In KSA, women are not allowed to drive cars so that maks us drive comfortablly.

08:07 AM Aug 15 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I'm going to assume you are joking, but just in case anyone was curious, women drive MUCH more safely than men – they are 77% less likely to die in a car accident based on miles driven.  

In America, independence is emphasised a lot.  Though the recent recession has changed this, it is customary to move out of the house as soon as possible when you get older – people who live with their parents (like me…), especially after graduating university, are looked at askance.  

When Americans say, "Hey, let's hang out sometime" or "we should totally get together later" or something like that to people, we are not actually being serious.  We are just being polite.  Don't expect us to call you for that meeting anytime soon.  But it doesn't mean we don't like you.   And if we do call, it wasn't because we felt obligated by telling you that.  

10:05 AM Aug 15 2010 |

Fion Wang

Fion Wang

Taiwan

wow~women can't drive!I can not imagine that.That is really unusual for me.

In Taiwan,we have to be polite to the elderly even she or he is your close family, like mom and dad. I think most Chinese people are the same too.Your position in the family tree is very important. Sometimes, our uncle has same age as us. We still have to go along with him as an elderly. We should follow the etiquette which is tallied with your position in the family tree.

10:12 AM Aug 15 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

In KSA, women are not allowed to drive cars so that maks us drive comfortablly.In Saudi Arabia is the most accident rates, although the
                 Women dont  drive  perhaps because of the ways or  other reasonsdrive  is art                              even  if  women aloow to drive  they  will ayws dont depnds  in very  much  maybe  when they need                 n other countries, although men and women are allowed to
But they not rely too much on the car 

10:19 AM Aug 15 2010 |

Fion Wang

Fion Wang

Taiwan

We are the same. When someone says"Hey, let's hang out sometime". He or she is not serious.That is due to that we need to be polite and the custom.We all know that ,so we won't have too much expectation about that.

10:27 AM Aug 15 2010 |

lolita_lempicka

Yemen

In yemen its allwed for womens to drive but most of the women prefer the man pick them up cuz its more save .

one from our culture here is when you are invited for any accasion you should bring a gift for those who invites you its like showing respect & thankful .Wink

10:44 AM Aug 15 2010 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

Kissing the hand with bowed head of the elders is a sign of greetings and politeness and respect.  This is the custom of the Filipinos.  

02:41 PM Aug 15 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

sound great  cake

03:25 PM Aug 16 2010 |