Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do Indian women engage men instead of the men to engage women?

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

Why do Indian women engage men instead of the men to engage women?

To me, it seems vice versa, because most of the countries men engage women and pay all the expense of the marriage.

12:18 PM Sep 21 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

Any Indian here to answer?

01:32 PM Sep 21 2010 |

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

Ryo

must not Indian, but better to be Indian or pakistani because their caltures are simmilar, if we can get anyone esle who can answer wee welcome.

01:40 PM Sep 21 2010 |

COTTON CANDY

Philippines

Wow indian man are so lucky

01:44 PM Sep 21 2010 |

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

If i myself want to marry an indian woman and i give the dowry to her will she accept or reject?

02:01 PM Sep 21 2010 |

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

RYO

As we know most of the families dominate by parents, how does an Indian family see if their daugher is to be engaged, as their culture in not so ( as your point of view?

02:27 PM Sep 21 2010 |

davincimgs

Brazil

Dear ABUKATO, i'm brazilian and live in Rio de Janeiro city.

Here in Brazil, the men nor women has to give dowry, to nobody, but in general the costs of the marriageis is up to her parents.

In Somália is how? ( about this issue)

03:11 PM Sep 21 2010 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Well It can given from Girl's family to boys or boy's to girls, and some times both. Different practices are followed in different parts of the country. Dowry is not backed by any Hindu religious book, including Vedas.  

as per Dowry Prohibition act 1961, Giving/ Taking Dowry during a marriage is illegal , And People can get up to 5 Years of Jail 

Indian word Dakhshina(Dowry) means what is given out of one's capability and willingness. so technically it is not mandatory . 

04:53 PM Sep 21 2010 |