Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do Indian women engage men instead of the men to engage women?

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

Why do Indian women engage men instead of the men to engage women?

To me, it seems vice versa, because most of the countries men engage women and pay all the expense of the marriage.

12:18 PM Sep 21 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

javamanju

javamanju

India

It does not matter  who will  pay all the expense of the marriage. 

In India IT DOES. Lower middle class  Marriage cost runs any where between 10,000 $ to 15,000 $ . It is once in a life time spending(Polygamy is banned and India has one of the lowest divorce rate in the world)

This includes Flower decoration, Food , Cloths  given to relatives etc etc etc. 30-40 % is Bourne by the Grooms family and rest by the Brides family

05:11 PM Sep 21 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

I did not speak of the Marriage   in India  But I am surprised   I think that there is a multi-cultural India  so I thought that the law    is not a hard there    but  i know  that  there   alot of families dominate by parents    as  maybe There are also problems because of the cost  married    in  my  point of    if  Really  people  like each other    
Supposed   there nothing stands   

05:32 PM Sep 21 2010 |

priyaaa

priyaaa

India

i think most of the states in india follow these culture..dowry means bride's parents give portion of their wealth to their daughter ..because she will be happy in her future…but most of them do a bargaining in marriages…india is a developing country so we ,the youth,trying to overwrite these rules

06:37 AM Sep 22 2010 |

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

Davincimgs

In Somalia in general the dowry pays by the man or the man's family, but if the woman loves the man and he has no enough to pay, it is between both of the families if they agree with each other, other wise the woman will pay with the help of her family, if the 2 families have nothing to pay friends will pay, also there is no need of more than a Carpet, 2 Foams and some little houseware. But everything depends on love.

10:48 AM Sep 22 2010 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

That is, however, a tremendous difference between PRICE and DOWRY

Do you mean by price bonnet money? If the father of the girl asks money in return for his daughter to his account, then this money is called "bonnet money".

07:54 PM Sep 23 2010 |

sravanjampani

India

well, DOWRY…. a topic wchich can draw million points.

Dowry system has been prevaling in many communities of India.It is an age old custom that is followed in India.  Moreover, a boy who is going to marry wil not walking wearing a fixed price tag…..Wink

Its mostly followed in South India…  Rules has been imposed some 50 years ago.. but who cares & follows rules? when this custom is being followed from ages, & when most ppl are not educated.

I'm sure the judge who read out these rules too has gone through dowry 4 his children… Foot in mouth 

compulsion payment of dowry  is babaric and callous. it is becoming fashion statement rich families,  afterall  the common man is being HIT by this evil.

07:20 AM Sep 25 2010 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Adding to above comments ,

Dowry is considered a status symbol by many, especially in certain parts of the country(Read Andhra). A colleague  of mine used to brag about the dowry he would get when he gets married. Not getting good dowry could mean "some thing is wrong with the groom" etc. Also there might be problems when the second daughter attains a marriage able age. People may not seek alliance . 

in stark contrast,  in certain other communities asking dowry is considered bad. It indicated that the financial ability of the groom is not good. 

09:50 AM Sep 25 2010 |

Abukato

Abukato

Somalia

Indian women are very beautiful, it would be better to be engaged instead!

12:03 PM Sep 27 2010 |

Shruthi

India

Yes.  We buy men in India.

11:05 AM Jan 17 2012 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

We buy men in India

Well, technically it is wrong. a Vedic marraige is associated with “Kanyadanam”. i.e. Giving away the daughter. danam is equivalent to the english word “Donate”. So there is no question of “buying”. 

As for Dowry i.e. Varadakshina . It is technically a token gift given to the Vara i.e. Groom. It is part of every Vedic marraige. big gifts was never a compultion. It was a voluntary practice without any coercive overtones. In the course of time, the voluntary element in dowry has disappeared and the coercive element has crept in. it has taken deep roots not only in the marriage ceremony but also post-marital relationship. What was originally intended to be a taken dakshina for the bridegroom has now gone out of proportions and has assumed the nomenclature ‘dowry’.

01:12 PM Jan 20 2012 |