Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

If someone insulted you , do you ignore or do the same .

Walid

Walid

Algeria

Well , i’ll tell you my situation :

one day i was in a bus and and a man came and sat behind me he was looking older , you can say in the age of my father , anyway this person has insulted without any reason and that’s what makes me very astonished because i felt like he is out of his mind ….

so , the bottom line is that i just kept silent i didn’t reply any word , and my friend who was next to me said that i’m a weak because i didn’t reply him and now i really feel like i’m a weak person and i feel frustrated about the

Then tell me please did i do the right thing one i ignored him or i should have insulted him back ….. i need your help pleaaaaaaase

09:50 PM Dec 14 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

I think I can help! My religion teaches to ignore insults. There I said it. Now the truth.

I have in the past been in your exact situation. Horribly insulted for no reason and rather confused as to how I should respond.  On the one hand, like yourself I thought “surely this person is disturbed and it can’t be a good thing to escalate it”, only to be insulted by who I thought was a friend. Did he want me to cut the guy? Did he want me to shoot him? What exactly did he expect me to do? Sure, I would respond in kind, I’m no trouble maker either, but if he was disturbed, he probably wouldn’t let it go and whatever level of force he chooses, I have to be there also. It seemed like such a minor thing, to be insulted by a stranger (or even a co-worker) when the alternative is keeping up with their level of force and they might be crazy. Sure it would have started with words and punches but you shouldn’t even throw the words if you can’t match him no matter  how violent he gets, he might be disturbed after all. And I was quite a bit surprised at the insult in the first place but I was stunned at the insult of my “friend”. I could have struck my “friend” but that would only have made me look weaker by adding childish to the charge of his insult. I would most certainly have been fired on the spot from my job and with that issue to deal with in the future. So like the first guy I let that insult go too. Maybe I can’t help because to be truthful, it still eats at me sometimes. I doubt very much if a reunion between me and my “friend” would be polite for long. I try to remember what I am commanded by my faith to do, but like there, the culture here doesn’t like men who tolerate insults. Even the faithful are pretty hypocritical about it. Maybe men everywhere are wired to be like that, I don’t know. When it bothers me I remind myself of the command and try to figure God’ll take care of them, but if I were truthfully able to do either, it wouldn’t still eating at me. Maybe it helps to say you aren’t the only guy in the world who’s faced that, and in my experience now that I am older, I think guys like my “friend” hadn’t had any hard choices to make.

Makes me feel weak too, even after all these years, even knowing better. I tell myself I did the right thing, but I can hear him in my memory. I shoulda just knocked the taste off his tongue is my thoughts when I think of it, but I still think we did the right thing. I went armed in my younger days, I could have insulted him without regard in that respect. But if it HAD escalated to killing him, what do I say then? “Uh, I thought he was out of his mind so I provoked him into a fight and ultimately killed him?” Trust me, your friend is an idiot. And I get why you didn’t pop him either, that would have looked even worse than beating up the crazy guy (who being crazy, insults would turn to blows). The insult may never leave you, nor perhaps the pain it brings, but you can learn wisdom in pain and hardship, even if it doesn’t make you feel better. I’m guessing your a book child and therefore probably your writings have a similar commandment. That didn’t make me feel better, but recognizing how hard it is, how much words matter, how sometimes we have to be lessened to become greater (after all, most people don’t think the young man who beat up the older man who turned out to be disturbed is very heroic- you almost couldn’t win no matter what you did), how important it is to avoid the sudden flush of anger,  and many other things can be learned from the experience.  And I guess again that your holy writings has teachings on those things that may make more sense to you now in light of your experience. 

to be clear it only bothers me if I think of it and I haven’t thought of it in years. You reminded me and upon this time around, it’s kind of funny. it took a while but it finally has become kind of funny that my friend was such a goof. anyway, I hope my experience helped somehow.

09:13 PM Dec 15 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Ignore is an insult too – just don’t’ notice an insult. I smile and try to be myself. It’s Christmas time – the time of kindness, sharing yourself, gifts—this is the most wonderful time of the year. Forgive anyone who insulted you and smile. Beleive me, you will feel bad after answering back let alone ignoring that will make you unhappy. Easy, easy – take it easy.

10:08 PM Dec 15 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Ok, I didn’t see him as joking. It looked to me like he was bothered.  It isn’t trivial if it’s bothering him. Anything like this ever happen to you?

Sadly, our govt stopped hospitalizing the mentally ill in 1980. Some have been on the streets for 30 years. The man seemed out of his mind, which is a phrase meaning mentally not right. Here the elderly man who might be crazy on the bus isn’t dangerous the way a young man or a trained man might be. They are dangerous in that if you set them off you may find yourself bitten by someone with deseases that haven’t got names yet. My frame of reference may be different than yours.

oh and I read it more as he was bothered by what his friend said.

11:07 PM Dec 15 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Leala, I agree, but still after answering back, I find it that life would be much brighter without it. It’s like you’re losing yourself and get shape of the insulter. And when it happens, the insulter is happy, but you’re not. So, I’ll go with knowing who you’re and staying with it, not letting the other ruin your identity. Sometimes it’s very hard. But we’re strong, aren’t we;)

04:03 AM Dec 16 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Not answering in the same tone, in the same way. Insult can be not only in direct words, it can be well hidden in sarcasm, sneer, mock, in a tone, in treating you like you’re a second-rate person. Thanks God, it doesn’t happen every day, but it happens. People are different. When you “addict your self to the feelings” and start behaving in the same bitchy way, it’s worse as it’s not your nature, but for the insulter, it’s fun as it that what he/she wanted – to get you. So, no matter what they say how ‘blond’ you’re - be yourself, smile, share your kindness.

02:00 PM Dec 16 2012 |

Walid

Walid

Algeria

Thank youuuuuuu so much all of you .

Now i feel good :)  i’m very happy and i’m sure that i did the right thing . 

08:07 PM Dec 16 2012 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

That requires mastery not to be reactive, most of the problems we create for ourselves and for others are due to our reactive thinking. I don’t agree with your friend who tortured you by calling you weak. I think that wasn’t the insult of aged man you’re taking on your heart rather the words of your friend who provoked you as a weak. 
I think that would had been more audaciously creative of you if you had changed that aged person anger into smiles and laughter.  

09:35 AM Dec 17 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Sometimes a person is not aware that he’s inslulting you :)

In this case to be like Buzz Light Year who asked Woody “You’re mocking me, aren’t you” and then he did his famous, as always he does – to Infinity and beyond!! :)

12:07 PM Dec 17 2012 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Ola,  catchphrase simillar to “Infinity and beyond” can be found in Cathrine Tate show, Where one of her character Laurne Copper gets out of her awkward situation with her catchphrase, “Am I boverred”, and the obv answer to it is always “No”. :)
So, next time if you think someone has insulted you, just replied with “Am I boverred?” (with little smile), furthermore, you can explain what do you mean by “Am I boverred?”, I hope it will give a person something for laughter :)

*Boverred sound like bothered.  

06:08 PM Dec 17 2012 |