Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Music Mix!

Shakira, who likes her?

Brazil

I´m brazilian, and I think that Shakira doesn´t good speaking in English, I prefer to listen to her music in Spanish,how about you?

01:11 AM Aug 31 2004 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Jerryhui

China

Who is Shakira??

07:23 AM Sep 15 2004 |

ayaleehahaha1989

Hong Kong

=.=’

08:45 AM Mar 14 2006 |

partass

Pakistan

who is shakira,seems a muslim.can anyone tell about her/his at

05:59 AM Mar 15 2006 |

moonwolf1943

China

why don’t you introduce Shakira first?
maybe we will have interesting

12:23 PM Mar 22 2006 |

ayaleehahaha1989

Hong Kong

umm..thats right!

09:52 AM Mar 24 2006 |

partass

Pakistan

wel shakira im from pakistan.where from u.
what do u do.wel i like spanish and chines music.

03:36 AM Apr 04 2006 |

episod

episod

United States

Shakira is a musician who performs regularly in the Americas. She is known for shaking her body around a lot and having a very flexible stomach. She does a sexualized form of belly dancing. Her music isn’t very interesting to me, but she seems really popular. I saw her recently perform on American Idol with Wyclef Jean from the Fugees. It was all right.

08:17 PM Apr 04 2006 |

moonwolf1943

China

oh I got it
it seems I like this kinds of girl
sexy and wild
so now I am a litter busy
I’v got to download something about she

10:42 AM Apr 06 2006 |

xiaomaomusic

United States

She is originally from Columbia, but she is part Middle Eastern (Shakira Mebarak), and had three Spanish language albums (I think….! I have all her albums, but not the live and remix ones) out:
Pies Descaldos (Bare Feet)
Donde Estan Los Ladrones? (Where are the thieves)
And Fijacion Oral (Oral Fixation)
Shakira rocks the house. She has been compared to many people, I think she is most closer to a sort of Alanis Morrisette type performer, in the sense that she writes her own songs, and they are very much about strong women.
But her sound mixes American Rock and Pop, traditional Latin and Spanish music and pop, and her Middle Eastern upbriginging (I think she is part Lebanese).
People had been tripping over themselves to translate her songs into English. Gloria Estefan offered to do it, and Shakira refused, and learned English so she could write her own songs.
That is where her first English language album LAUNDRY SERVICE came from. It was a huge huge hit in the US.
Her image has really changed alot. She has always been sexy, she used to wear lots and lots of makeup, and had long black hair.
Now she is more stripped down, no make up, dyed blonde hair. And she has made belly-dancing very popular!
I too prefer her Spanish-language songs. PIES DESCALDOS is such an amazing album. Worth learning Spanish for!
Te Amo, Shakira!
-Holly

07:52 PM May 11 2006 |